General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start

I have a 2000 WS6 that won't start. Theres a clicking sound like a dead battery. I charged the battery and it shows 12V+ on the volt meter. I also took the alternator down and had it tested and it was good. I checked the cables for loose connections and had to tighten one. It still clicks when I try to start it and the chimes etc sound sick when the key is on.

I had to call AAA for a jump and it started but would die at idle. I also tried the start mode with my charger and it only clicked louder and harder and won't start at all.

1. Could the battery still be bad even if it showed 12V+? I'm going to take it back to Sears for testing on Monday. It's just a hassel to go there and this would be the 3rd replacement if it's bad. I thought their Diehards were good quality but apparently not in the AZ heat.

2. If the battery checks out could the relays in that fuse box marked "IGN" and another "Starter" be bad?

3. Or is there something else I can check.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Easiest things first. Fuses and/or realys. Swap some others one in there to see if it starts.

NOt getting power to the starter could be corriosion build up on the cable at the starter or anywhere else.

How is your excitor wire looking that plugs into the top of the alternator? The alternator can check out perfect if you bring it in for a test, but it may not be charging if the excitor wire/plug is bad. That will keep it from charging the battery.

If you can jump it to start it, then it starts to die pretty quick....you're alternaotr is doing nothing. Because you can start the car, then take the battery out and it'll keep running...IF the alternator is working. Excitor wire might be the culprit.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case it was the battery again. This is the 3rd Sears Diehard replaced free of charge. Apparently the Diehards don't like the Arizona 110+ degree heat.