General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New Waterpump installed: Do I need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Waterpump installed: Do I need a tune?

I recently installed a new waterpump at about 90K. Install went well and new pump is great. No leaks, etc.

Car seems to run slightly different when accelerating. It feels as if I may have lost a little power. The average person may not be able to tell but I know my car since I am the original owner and have had it for 10 years.

The new pump came with a new stat which functions properly. Car always ran around 185 degrees and still does with new pump and stat.

Do I need a tune? A ex-GM guy and LS1 owner I know said yes.

Does anyone concur?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hell no.............

Who is this idiot GM guy? There's a bunch of them so I;m not surprised.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Do you think I may have air in the system? Thought I got it all out, but you never know.

Should car seem to have lost power or is this my imagination because I installed a new part flawlessly and I am looking for something to be wrong?

What do you think?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kdoublep
Do you think I may have air in the system? Thought I got it all out, but you never know.

Should car seem to have lost power or is this my imagination because I installed a new part flawlessly and I am looking for something to be wrong?

What do you think?
I think its your sub-conscious trying to make you spend money on mods to make up for that imaginary loss of power.

Very simple with the air.....tomorrow when its cold, take the radiator cap off and start it up, then wait forthe coolant to start flowing after the t-stat opens..if the level drops down, top it off immediately before the t-stat closes and you're good to go, no more air.

I don't see how a water pump change can decrease power. Unless you have a Katech belt tensioner and made the belt tight using a winch.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Staging Lane

Funny stuff. These cars and this site always make me want to spend money on my girl.

Went thru all the motions you advised already. Did it again. No need to top off.

I am sure you are right. My imagination!

Thanks.