Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Valving to spring rate in Koni's

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valving to spring rate in Koni's

I have a question about the valving in my Koni DA's. This may be a question for Sam. I bought my springs from Sam this summer and installed them with some used DA Koni shocks I got from a CMC racer. I also have a 1le front sway bar and a 21mm rear bar. I put an adjustable PH on it to center the rear after i lowered it with Sams' springs. The used Koni's are valved to 800lb fronts (maybe 1000,i can't recall for sure) and 250lb rear springs. Sams' springs are 550/150. I realize i will need to revalve them over this winter to match the spring rate of Sam's rates. One, does Sam do re-valving of Koni's or does he send them out to Koni? Two, Since they are valved for a much higher spring rate, are they over damping like crazy right now? Does that spring rate make them super stiff right now compared to what they should be? I have them on full soft and it they seem to hit hard on bumps in the road but overall the car handles like it's on rails. Turn in is incredible especially on r-comps.
I'm looking to understand more about how they are valved now and what i need to do to get them valved to better match Sam's springs. I love the springs, they totally transformed the car. I bought the koni's used because it was too good of a deal to pass up even if i end up having them revalved.
I'm curious about if Sam revalves and any other thoughts on the type of valving i will need for sams springs. I know that Koni rebuilds them, but is this something you can do yourself or do i just need to send them to Sam if he does them since i have his springs already?

Thanks for any guidance.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any insight to my questions? Anybody?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't revalve the shocks. In fact my shocks are off the shelf valving in my car. The fact your shocks have been valved, would mean they have been made stiffer. How much? Can't say, that's not a set in stone number. And for that matter who even knows how stiff you are running them. For instance, maybe the range got moved up say 25% over stock. What was the full soft is now +25% stiffer so on an so forth. If that's the case then the "setting" I use if you matched it position wise--is not really the same, but the same 25% different. Again, I can't know how much the damping was changed, or for that matter if the curve was......

Here's why I don't think that the shocks were too good a deal to pass up. By the time you valve them to known, added to the cost of what you paid--my bet is they won't have been any cheaper (unless you got them for literally next to nothing). But even them it's at minimum about 6 weeks for Koni to do any work, often longer this time of year since they are so busy in their shop.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!