General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air Bag Clock Spring

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Air Bag Clock Spring

Hey guys, I need some help. I was recently working on a rack and pinion job with my dad and while the rack was disconnected from the steering column he turned the wheel a little bit which in turn set the air bag light off . So my question is, what most likely broke? Clock spring? And how difficult of a job will it be to replace the part?

Alex
Old 08-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Launching!

What make/model car...and did you pull any codes to confirm? What are the codes? I'll see what I can look up for you.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Its a 99 Trans Am. No I haven't gotten any codes pulled yet. Who can I go to, to get the codes read?

Alex
Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Launching!

I'm not sure how you can pull the code from the BCM without a proper scan tool.

I looked up the procedures on the clock spring and found that GM simply says to "center it" when reinstalling.

I may be wrong here - but my thought process is you need to set the front wheels straight - pull the collar to the rack. Pull the steering wheels off (battery disconnected) and observe the clock spring assembly. You should be able to rotate the shaft an align it back straight - lock it in place, reconnect the rack - put the wheel back on - then reconnect the battery.

See if that will re-set and have you good to go.

I'm throwing this out there without known the specific code, or if there is a better procedure to "center it."
Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69MyWay
I'm not sure how you can pull the code from the BCM without a proper scan tool.

I looked up the procedures on the clock spring and found that GM simply says to "center it" when reinstalling.

I may be wrong here - but my thought process is you need to set the front wheels straight - pull the collar to the rack. Pull the steering wheels off (battery disconnected) and observe the clock spring assembly. You should be able to rotate the shaft an align it back straight - lock it in place, reconnect the rack - put the wheel back on - then reconnect the battery.

See if that will re-set and have you good to go.

I'm throwing this out there without known the specific code, or if there is a better procedure to "center it."

Alright cool, thanks for the help. I am going to take the car either today or tomorrow and see if I cant get the codes read, then I'll go from there.

alex
Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very easy to replace. If you know you broke it don't bother scanning the car for codes.

Replace the CW spring. Wheel controls have a different part number.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Clock Spring