Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which hawks pads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Which hawks pads?

Hawks Ceramic, HPS, or HP Plus pads? Intended street use, I drive with a heavy foot, on both the gas and the brake. What do you guys recommend?
Any pro's/con's with either ceramic or ferro-carbon material?
Help is much appreciated, thanks...
Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the street, I refuse to use dirty pads anymore, so ceramic it is for me .

Some people will claim that they just don't work well enough, but I disagree. They will stop your car no problem, however, you may have to stand on the pedal a little harder to make them bite. This does not mean that they do not work .

FWIW, I do a lot of running on road courses, and while I typically run race pads (ie: Hawk Blues or better) I have gone out on the track multiple times on my street ceramic pads, and had no problems doing so .

For the street? You'll have no problem with them, and they will keep your wheels cleaner (or easier to keep clean, however you want to put it ).

That's my $.02.

Last edited by Cap'n Pete; 08-28-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely. Good ceramic pads wont fail you. They also keep the wheels much cleaner, and HP+ will really total your rotors in a hurry. I just bought a powerstop brake kit and chose ceramic. I don't think i'll be doing repeated 120-0 stops anytime soon.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I recommend HPS's. I use them on my cars. I have Ceramics on my daily driver, and I hate them. They make as much dust as my HPS's do, but don't have as good stopping power. In fact about a month ago I stood on the brakes and the ABS would not engage until about 45 (I was going 70, on street tires, not anything sticky). Meanwhile I can engage ABS at that speed on HPS's on much, much stickier Hoosier tires..... Now I'll sell Ceramics because some want them, but for me it's HPS's all the way.

Pluses are super strong, but very touchy and grabby, and make a ton of dust---they also tend to squeal, but my god they do stop.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run the Hawk HPS for years. Less dusting than stock (they all dust) and great stopping power.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been autoxing with hawk HPS for half the season now and no problems. They grab good on the course and work excellent on the street. From what I can tell they aren't too harsh on the rotors either.

I've never tried ceramics, but I would recommend the HPS as a great street pad.

If you get into road racing or autox there are plenty of other choices, but that as they say thats another story.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Another vote for HPSs. Ceramics are adequate/fine. They don't stop quite as well, last a tad longer, and don't dust quite as much. I use my HPSs with Centric or Autozone rotors and it's a reasonable combo and a GREAT upgrade in stopping power. Contrary to others, the HPSs are also very quiet for me. For basically the same price, I'd much rather have the extra stopping power when I need it.

And FWIW, it's "Hawk", singular.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

FWIW: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=17&ModelID=7 Front and rear HPS's, shipped for $159.99.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using HPS on my D/D for years. I like them.

Bill

Quick Reply: Which hawks pads?