can this be done.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default can this be done.......

434ci LSX iron

Dual stage 300 DP system: 150 / 150

But have it to where only one of the 150 shots can be used for a run/race and the other one never hits. But......choose that quickly on the fly while driving in just a few seconds.

Then....if you want both 150's to hit in two stages that can also be quickly set up, on the fly, and arm it and use it that way in seconds.

With an 11.5: 1 cr engine (6 bolt heads).....what octane race gas would have to be used? Meaning full time race gas. Not a stand alone tank.

Can a timing tuner also be used so you can run around N/A with max timing...until you're ready to do a run on spray.....but that timing will be pulled in that same time that you're selecting what spray amount you want? Are the timing tuners that fast in pulling the proper timing for the run?

Then finally.....is there any type of "protection system" that can save the engine in the event of a mechanical failure of the nitrous/fuel system where the engine might run too lean and blow a piston(s) or something else? Maybe just a complete shutdown mechanism.

Its time to choose between a single turbo set-up or this type of nitrous set-up. I have to start my build in the next couple weeks or I'll never do it.
I know the single turbo set up will cost a whole lot more than a dual stage nitrous set up and more power with the turbo of course...but 900 RWHP on spray will suffice at this point.

Thanks.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
434ci LSX iron

Dual stage 300 DP system: 150 / 150

But have it to where only one of the 150 shots can be used for a run/race and the other one never hits. But......choose that quickly on the fly while driving in just a few seconds.

Then....if you want both 150's to hit in two stages that can also be quickly set up, on the fly, and arm it and use it that way in seconds.

With an 11.5: 1 cr engine (6 bolt heads).....what octane race gas would have to be used? Meaning full time race gas. Not a stand alone tank.

Can a timing tuner also be used so you can run around N/A with max timing...until you're ready to do a run on spray.....but that timing will be pulled in that same time that you're selecting what spray amount you want? Are the timing tuners that fast in pulling the proper timing for the run?

Then finally.....is there any type of "protection system" that can save the engine in the event of a mechanical failure of the nitrous/fuel system where the engine might run too lean and blow a piston(s) or something else? Maybe just a complete shutdown mechanism.

Its time to choose between a single turbo set-up or this type of nitrous set-up. I have to start my build in the next couple weeks or I'll never do it.
I know the single turbo set up will cost a whole lot more than a dual stage nitrous set up and more power with the turbo of course...but 900 RWHP on spray will suffice at this point.

Thanks.

What are you tuning the car with OR what management system is running the vehicle?

-Will
Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

....that sounds like a crazy set up.Hope it works.If so your going to have to do a write up and let us know how to do it.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TARZAN
What are you tuning the car with OR what management system is running the vehicle?

-Will
I have a stock 1998 PCM in there now on my N/A 427ci.

I definitely planned on buying a new PCM for the new engine.

What will work best for what I'm doing? I planned on a BS3 or Electromotive management system if I went single turbo so spending some cash is ok for the best system.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

If you try to stay on the stock PCM you can try some of the multiple piggy backs and computer trick items available.....multiple micro tuners available for timing and fuel enrichment options on the fly.

If you go with FAST, BS3, AEM, etc....you should be able to do everything via the controller. Most of them offer the ability to tie inputs in that trigger any number of changes....IE you can tie an input in that will pull X degrees of timing when the nitrous is activated (and even rich it up slightly if need be).

Your best bet on a safety switch is most likely a fuel pressure safety switch. It will cut the nitrous kit off if your fuel pressure drops too low.

-Will
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TARZAN
If you try to stay on the stock PCM you can try some of the multiple piggy backs and computer trick items available.....multiple micro tuners available for timing and fuel enrichment options on the fly.

If you go with FAST, BS3, AEM, etc....you should be able to do everything via the controller. Most of them offer the ability to tie inputs in that trigger any number of changes....IE you can tie an input in that will pull X degrees of timing when the nitrous is activated (and even rich it up slightly if need be).

Your best bet on a safety switch is most likely a fuel pressure safety switch. It will cut the nitrous kit off if your fuel pressure drops too low.

-Will
Ok, thanks for the info. So who's the "man" to set this stuff up for us? My father and I are doing the build in South Florida, he'd like to stay in Florida as far as driving/trailoring it somewhere to set the nitrous stuff up and tune it.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure absolutely can be done with the stock PCM. I am doing exactly this with 3-stages. I can run one or any combo of stages. leave on stage two one day, leave on stage 3 the next with 2nd coming in later, the combo's are endless. You can also have multiple timing curves set-up to match all of the your combos, just pick the one you want for any given day's combo. fueling is linear as you add stages. I don't have time to go into details, but it can and does work. I do have the lean/rich shut down armed for all of my combos, too. This works with dry hits, as wet hits the tuning options are much more limited. the high tech of the dry hits and stock PCM will catch on when mor people understand how versatile they can be in comparison to wet hits and old tech. I think I will have to do a write-up on how to set this type of system up, high tech is not for everyone.
Robert
Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Ok, thanks for the info. So who's the "man" to set this stuff up for us? My father and I are doing the build in South Florida, he'd like to stay in Florida as far as driving/trailoring it somewhere to set the nitrous stuff up and tune it.

Check with the sponsors....There are PLENTY badass shops down there in FL.

-Will
Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert56
Sure absolutely can be done with the stock PCM. I am doing exactly this with 3-stages. I can run one or any combo of stages. leave on stage two one day, leave on stage 3 the next with 2nd coming in later, the combo's are endless. You can also have multiple timing curves set-up to match all of the your combos, just pick the one you want for any given day's combo. fueling is linear as you add stages. I don't have time to go into details, but it can and does work. I do have the lean/rich shut down armed for all of my combos, too. This works with dry hits, as wet hits the tuning options are much more limited. the high tech of the dry hits and stock PCM will catch on when mor people understand how versatile they can be in comparison to wet hits and old tech. I think I will have to do a write-up on how to set this type of system up, high tech is not for everyone.
Robert
Direct Port....DRY?????? Never heard of that. How does it work?

Can I do a SD tune with dry shots?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Just requires some tuning and some triggers to add a large amount of fuel when the nitrous hits.

-Will
Old 09-09-2009, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Directport DRY ?

Whats that?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its the type of nitrous system it its.

There are three.

A Dry system, which means, if I'm not mistaken, that theres a nitrous jet that injects the nitrous, but it doesnt have a fuel jet to go with it, so the engine itself supplies the extra fuel itself.

A wet system is basically a dry system, but it has its own fuel jet also.

A direct port system is injected directly into each cylinder, i THINK it may have both a fuel and nitrous jet to go with it, but im not sure.

Theres many details left out, as im not an expert, im only 15 .

Hopefully someone will fill in the details.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

dp dry is just like any other dp system except theres no fuel jets. Fueling is handled by the ECU and the injectors. Thats why you either need something like a piggyback system, HSW microedge, or a aftermarket ecu to add the fuel when the system is engaged.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Induction Solutions!! hands down the best nitrous tunner in the US!! he is in South Flordia. Holds a ton of records and has a kickass customer service!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SPRAYIN96TA
Induction Solutions!! hands down the best nitrous tunner in the US!! he is in South Flordia. Holds a ton of records and has a kickass customer service!
Holy ****....they're near my house?

Thanks. I don't know much about nitrous, this will be our first jump into it and we're going big with it.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Can I do a SD tune with dry shots?

As stated, a piggy back controller like the HSW Interface makes for a killer DP dry street/strip set-up. The dedicated drag guys doing dry like the after market computers for many reasons. but we can certainly totally controll all fueling and timing pull, along with progressing and big injectors all thru the stock PCM, I am and 3 stages dry/dry/dry.

Robert
Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

Holy ****....they're near my house?

Thanks. I don't know much about nitrous, this will be our first jump into it and we're going big with it.

I would either go to him or RPM in Garner, NC. Ryan know's his LSX nitrous stuff too!

They both have worked with me and had really good luck!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Banned

I'll be talking to Steve (Industion Solutions) tomorrow about the set-up. He said there's a bunch of questions he needs to ask me before he can quote me on the set-up we want. I'm afraid to hear what he has to ask me.
I can see it now......after talking to him we'll change our minds to go back to single turbo.......

They're actually about 30 miles north of Tampa...not in south Florida. But no biggie.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be talking to Steve (Industion Solutions) tomorrow about the set-up. He said there's a bunch of questions he needs to ask me before he can quote me on the set-up we want. I'm afraid to hear what he has to ask me.
I can see it now......after talking to him we'll change our minds to go back to single turbo.......

They're actually about 30 miles north of Tampa...not in south Florida. But no biggie.

yeah some of those intricate dp setups can get pretty exspensive but IDK if it will ever run the price of a good turbo kit.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
yeah some of those intricate dp setups can get pretty exspensive but IDK if it will ever run the price of a good turbo kit.
Thats what me and my father are thinking. It should be quite a bit less expensive then a properly set up BIG single turbo set-up. If we did this 1 year ago money wouldn't be an issue but we just don't want to spend $20,000 after the engine is done. I've had this LSX sitting in a crate for a long time. But if this guy tells me its gonna be close to the cost of single turbo set up and he gives me a bunch of draw-bakcs to the spray...we'll go turbo.

I mean, isn't a simple TNT wet shot with a 200 hit like less than $1,000 total?
For a DP 400 (dual stage 150 / 250).....is it going to be like 4-5 times that much. Is it one of those exponential things as you jump up to big shots like that?