Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1 tire sticks out farther than the other, why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Question 1 tire sticks out farther than the other, why?

since i put the c5 z06 rims on with the 295's in the back, it only rubs on the passenger side. i have the eibach prokit with revalved bilsteins from strano with what looks like a double adjustable panhardbar and non adjustable LCA's. today we measured the distance from the wheel to a straight edge against the fender and the driver side is 1 inch top and bottom, the passenger side is 1 inch bottom and 3/4 of an inch on top . . . what could be causing this? btw it only rubs when i turn to the right and not in a straight line and i've seen where it's rubbing, i'll try to take a pic tomorrow and i'm thinking if nothing else i'll just throw spacers on both and call it a day but i'm still curious to why it's doing this
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you lower the car the rear end moves over. That is the purpose for having an adjustable panhard bar. You must do this with the full weight of the car on all 4 wheels. Take two long pieces of string. Tape them to the center of the of the rear wheel opening so it hangs down by the wheel's center. Tie a large nut (nut and bolt type of nut) to make the string hang down perfectly straight. Measure the distance on each side between the wheel hub and the string. Then adjust your panhard rod until the distance is equal between hub and fender. You probably will need to shorten it. Reassemble, check your measurements until you get both side equal in distance. If you don't have access to a lift (and most of us don't) put it up on jackstand and make sure the car is level. Takes a little time. DO NOT just use spacers. Really doesn't take that long. Good luck
Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ajsfirehawk
When you lower the car the rear end moves over. That is the purpose for having an adjustable panhard bar. You must do this with the full weight of the car on all 4 wheels. Take two long pieces of string. Tape them to the center of the of the rear wheel opening so it hangs down by the wheel's center. Tie a large nut (nut and bolt type of nut) to make the string hang down perfectly straight. Measure the distance on each side between the wheel hub and the string. Then adjust your panhard rod until the distance is equal between hub and fender. You probably will need to shorten it. Reassemble, check your measurements until you get both side equal in distance. If you don't have access to a lift (and most of us don't) put it up on jackstand and make sure the car is level. Takes a little time. DO NOT just use spacers. Really doesn't take that long. Good luck
thanks man!!! i think i'll call the shop tomorrow though and ask them to look at it since they put it on, hopefully they'll align it for free but kinda doubtful lol
Old 09-15-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

The reason why the rear end shifts sideways is due to the PHB suspension geometry. The PHB connects the left side of the axle to the right side of the chassis. Picture how that works.. it essentially swings around.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

so the right side is going to stay in one place? thats how what your saying is makin me think
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kinda....it is not the best design. Like someone has already said just adjust the panhard rod until its even from side to side.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by King Nothing
so the right side is going to stay in one place? thats how what your saying is makin me think
The PHB will center the rearend under the car and an adjustable PHB is used for this exact situation....how do you have these parts on the car and not know what they do? I'd advise spending some time using the search function and learning what the parts on your car really do.

The PHB centers the rearend like so w/ [] being each wheel and tire and | being each fender. So If you are rubbing on the passenger side you want to shorten the PHB to pull the rearend back over so its not rubbing.

This is what you have right now:
..|......|
[]----[]

This is what you want:
|.......|
[]----[]
Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
The PHB will center the rearend under the car and an adjustable PHB is used for this exact situation....how do you have these parts on the car and not know what they do? I'd advise spending some time using the search function and learning what the parts on your car really do.

The PHB centers the rearend like so w/ [] being each wheel and tire and | being each fender. So If you are rubbing on the passenger side you want to shorten the PHB to pull the rearend back over so its not rubbing.

This is what you have right now:
..|......|
[]----[]

This is what you want:
|.......|
[]----[]
when this stuff was put on my car i went by what i was told by sam strano, didn't do my research and i regret it like i said my right side is rubbing and left side WAS sticking out but i noticed last night after my buddy turned the panhardbar yesterday my left tire wasn't sticking out anymore and my right tire still rubs
Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

when this stuff was put on my car i went by what i was told by sam strano, didn't do my research and i regret it like i said my right side is rubbing and left side WAS sticking out but i noticed last night after my buddy turned the panhardbar yesterday my left tire wasn't sticking out anymore and my right tire still rubs
Well, I can say w/ confidence that Sam wouldn't lead you astray. He knows his **** and if you don't jerk him around he will be good to you.

Regardless, you should do the research to know how the parts work. You can easily research on here just by searching and reading posts.

Rather than measuring from the fender measure from the actual inner body of the car to the outside of the wheeel....this is the *correct* way to center the rear. Where are you rubbing? Inside of sidewall or compressing onto the top of the tire?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I can say w/ confidence that Sam wouldn't lead you astray. He knows his **** and if you don't jerk him around he will be good to you.

Regardless, you should do the research to know how the parts work. You can easily research on here just by searching and reading posts.

Rather than measuring from the fender measure from the actual inner body of the car to the outside of the wheeel....this is the *correct* way to center the rear. Where are you rubbing? Inside of sidewall or compressing onto the top of the tire?
i haven't talked to him since i bought the parts and they were put on at a shop that i thought new what they were doing but i failed on the research part of that also. i'll take the wheel off in abit and take a pic of exactly where it is rubbing but yeah it's at the top where it rubs
Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Another suggestion for you is. The easiest way to get a measurement is to hang a plum ball (string with nut tied to the end will work )in the center of the wheel well. And then get your measurement from the string to the lip of the wheel.
Hope that helps
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-16-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

i haven't talked to him since i bought the parts and they were put on at a shop that i thought new what they were doing but i failed on the research part of that also. i'll take the wheel off in abit and take a pic of exactly where it is rubbing but yeah it's at the top where it rubs
If its rubbing on the top what profile did you go with for your 295s? I'm assuming 18s? So a 295/35/18 for example is going to be half an inch taller in total diameter than a stock 275/40/17. A 315/30 will be much closer in total height than a 295/35.

I think this is your problem and not a panhard centering issue but a tire size issue.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

well lol i found my receipt from strano
1. the description for the panhard bar is
Addco Chrome-Moly adjustable Panhard Bar w/rod-ends i looked on LMPerformance.com and the same description for a BMR PHB is dual adjustable and on car adjustable so i'm gonna check with stranoparts.com and double check if this is the same.
2. i took it to midas to get an alignment and their computer even showed the rear is sitting to the left currently and the guys said they've never adjusted one of these before so they weren't sure what to do but said my ride seemed really stiff and my springs might be sagging . . . but also since the tires are **** i'm wondering if thats playing a big part in it.
Now i need to figure out how exactly to do this so i can fix it for the time being and yes the tire profile is the 295/35
Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

btw they're machine said my rear tires were to left 1/4" too far
Old 09-16-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

If its rubbing on the top what profile did you go with for your 295s? I'm assuming 18s? So a 295/35/18 for example is going to be half an inch taller in total diameter than a stock 275/40/17. A 315/30 will be much closer in total height than a 295/35.

I think this is your problem and not a panhard centering issue but a tire size issue.
ok i think i'll go with a 295/30/18 if adjusting my PHB doesn't work
Old 09-17-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

ok i think i'll go with a 295/30/18 if adjusting my PHB doesn't work
Let us know how it comes out. 1/4" is a pretty big difference and that might fix your problem
Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Let us know how it comes out. 1/4" is a pretty big difference and that might fix your problem
i should've taken a pic to show because i could see the difference while we were under the car, fortunately i have 1 buddy i know who actually knows how to adjust it so hopefully it'll be adjusted today
Old 09-18-2009, 07:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave us know how you make out! If you have any other questions or issues leave me know and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

lol midas aint adjusting that, even though there isnt all that much to it. The other thing you gotta think about is if it was adjusted based on the alignment specs the wheels would be perfect relative to eachother but not necessarily to the body of the car, which i guess comes down to preference.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I adjusted mine, pretty simple, I took the rod end off the PHB dropped it down so I could see the holes, and then I jacked the axle up to load the suspension. I could see that the rear end was slightly to the left, so You just have to slightly lift and lower till the rear end is centered. Then adjust the bar till, you can see if the bolt will go through the hole, then lower and lift abit to make sure it's centered, then you can tight the bolt down and viola, you get something compromisable

I still plan to check the alignment soon right after I relocate the LCA's

Quick Reply: 1 tire sticks out farther than the other, why?