Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Having horrible luck with my car - Trans just blew tonight, can case be welded?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having horrible luck with my car - Trans just blew tonight, can case be welded?

As the title says, I am having no ******* luck with this car. Its been back on the road for a week and a day after being down for a month with clutch problems, and now the trans just blew. It looks as if I was driving, the driveshaft fell by the rear, hit the pavement, bounced up and smacked the transmission causing it to crack. I didn't pull it yet, I am tomm, but as I could see now the trans is cracked by the shifter. I included a pic of what I could see as of now.

A few friends of mine were telling me I could possibly get it welded back together, do you guys think this is at all possible? More info will be posted as I get it...

Old 09-19-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you could get it welded if you really wanted to, or if you wanted to get all new case parts if you go here, http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...rts/#hardparts, they have main cases, and tailshafts etc that you can buy new. Just depends on what you want to do. If it were me, I would send it to them and just get it rebuild and have them put new case parts on it while its there. But i dont know how much money you want to spend.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:06 AM
FormerVendor

Well, that looks like a pretty good crack..still hard to see. Once you get it pulled, get us some better pics.
But, to answer your question, IF it is a bad crack, best to go ahead, and buy new tailhousing.
If crack is not that bad, then YES, you can weld it up. Find someone that is reputable with aluminum, and clean it GOOD, before you take it to them. That way, all they have to do is "prep" teh aluminum before they weld, and not have to clean it also.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys, the trans will be pulled tonight. Hopefully the crack isn't too bad, but im expecting the worst, it sounded NASTY when it happened. I will also look into getting a new case, I just simply do not have the money for a new (or used) trans at this time, also getting it rebuilt is probably a small fortune. I am 19 going to college and work full time, most of my money goes towards college and maintaining my car, I just don't have the cash at the moment.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

You have serious issues. Every single time I have seen the rear tailhousing break in this area, its a driveshaft/vibration issue. You are going to need a new tailhousing at the very least. I would closely check the splines of the yoke on the driveshaft for twisting. Also make sure the driveshaft is not out of balance, bad front u joint and its the correct length.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, do you think its wise just to replace the driveshaft aswell? After shooting around the bottom of the car and pavement, it can't really be any good for it.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Banned

I would have it checked at the very least.