Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Been out of the game for years, need help with new FI car

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Been out of the game for years, need help with new FI car

All I can say is wow! There are some sick fast cars out now! I have been out of the game for about 3-4 years now (really more) so things are a bit different. I finally got my career going (started only 2 weeks ago) and I am looking to get back into the game. I wasn't looking to jump into a car so soon, but a local old car buddy of mine is forced to sell his SS. I really wanted a C5 and eventually put a TT kit on it, but this car for the money is hard to pass by. My dream has always been a 800-1000rwhp preferably turboed car.

So with that being said, this is the SS that is for sale am I seriously considering buying. I already got approved for the loan, money is an issue since I just started my job but getting a car like this locally for the price seems like a no brainer. Here is the link to the car:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...ss-camaro.html

What do you guys think? I thought 9.2:1 was a little high for FI but it seems that its the norm or low nowadays? I don't know much about meth, but I don't want to run anything crazy. The car will be a weekend fun car, I just want to get in it and go, pump gas, no extras and reliable! I would love a turbo setup but seems that a D1 would be the best for this car, and easiest. Would it be feasible to hit 800rwhp without meth? Maybe someday I can either upgrade headunits or swap for a turbo set up and go for 1000rwhp. My goal is 9.9 with the 6 speed, but still maintaining street manners, this will be a street car, not a race car. So for the money, good buy? I think its a great base to start with, saves me a lot of money. All I will need is the FI kit, bigger injectors/lines and a tune it seems?

Thanks everyone for your help, its been a long time!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

I dont think a D1 without meth will get you to your goals. 'Trust' has a thread on his car which is just over 800rwhp and ran a high 9 but that was also with meth.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I went and test drove the car today, pulls hard. The seller suggest I go with a F1 instead. I'm thinking the blower will be easier and cheaper but the turbo will be more power, all depends on the money. So what does everyone think about the car? Good deal? Buy it?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

I know this is the "ebay" kit, which is a copy of the PTK kit, but what is the difference between these two?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-02...Q5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...Q5fAccessories

One is $175 more? Also are their any FMIC kits for these kits or would I have to make my own? I plan to do all the work myself, except for the tune. Would a T-88 be suitable for this? 38mm wastegate to small? Its been awhile so please bare with me, I have been doing research like crazy but still not finding all the answers I need. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:21 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a nice car and great candidate for FI. I say go for it I'd recommend an F1A
Old 09-27-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

a 88mm turbo will definitly make 1000hp. not sure on how good of quality those 2 kits are but from the pictures they look good. do u have the trans, rear, fuel and motor to go along with this though?
Old 09-27-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by transamfreak01
...do u have the trans, rear, fuel and motor to go along with this though?
I'm guessing you didnt bother reading the link he posted in the beginning, or this part either:

Originally Posted by Red91vette
...I think its a great base to start with, saves me a lot of money. All I will need is the FI kit, bigger injectors/lines and a tune it seems?
Seriously, why reply to a thread if you aren't even gonna read the first post???
Old 09-27-2009, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Those e-bay kits are the same just some different accessories come with each. The downpipe is 3", so it limits turbo size. TC78 would be a good pick. Try a search on here for "ebay kit" there are several built threads. Alternator will have to be relocated but retains AC. This kit is designed around stock displacement. It will work with the 402 but will not make max potential.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

F1A on a 408 sounds like a F@#$%^ F15 Jet. Not too bad with the windows up lol..
Old 09-28-2009, 03:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZLEEPER
F1A on a 408 sounds like a F@#$%^ F15 Jet. Not too bad with the windows up lol..
Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you everyone for the replies. Yes, if you read (thanks chad) the car comes with a boost ready 402, full suspension, stage 4 trans, spec 3+ clutch, 9" rear. I'd probably need a better clutch and obviously slicks. I will definitely need bigger injectors, what about fuel rail or pump? It comes with a Nast Performance fuel rail/fittings and a Racetronix Fuel pump, don't know the specs though.

I know this is a rough copy of the PTK kit, I would just get the hot parts which were 500-675. So the best/biggest turbo that kit will support is a TC78? I don't know what turbo that is, but I will research it. What power levels will I be looking at with and without meth? I don't need to max anything out, its not a drag car, hence me keeping the 6 speed. I would like to say it has run a 9.9 pass and can put up 800rwhp on pump, maybe 1000rwhp on meth, but I would run it in street trim constantly since it will be a fully functional street car.

Sounds like a couple people have some experience with 402/408 with F1s haha. I still may go that route, but I think I'll be better off with a turbo, even though it could be a lot more money. It seems I am definitely buying the car, hope to have it by this weekend. I think it is a great deal.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I was going to buy a used car with FI, I would want it to be the FI that I wanted. I would hold out for a car that is closer to where you want to be so that you get the best possible deal. Or, I would buy a roller and build what I want. But that's just me.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

If money wasn't an option, I'd buy a roller and build up the car myself. Money (and time) are definitely big factors. With this SS, it was built to be a street friendly, 6 speed, high horsepower turbo car. The only thong missing is the turbo kit and injectors, everything else is done. I can't beat the price, I'm saving a ton of money!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 PM

Yea, you sure are! For 13k, thats a steal! Better go grab that puppy before someone else does!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red91vette
If money wasn't an option, I'd buy a roller and build up the car myself. Money (and time) are definitely big factors. With this SS, it was built to be a street friendly, 6 speed, high horsepower turbo car. The only thong missing is the turbo kit and injectors, everything else is done. I can't beat the price, I'm saving a ton of money!
You're right. I misunderstood at some point and thought that the car already had a blower on it. That is a pretty good deal if the car is clean.

Quick Reply: Been out of the game for years, need help with new FI car