Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

350 water consumption problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 water consumption problem

im workin on a 79 camaro with a 350 and it had a bad mikshake problem so i pulled the heads they got redone and pressure checked and changed the head gaskets and it was still drinking water so i pulled the intake manifold and gooped the water passages on it with rtv and is still drinking water the engine is bored .060 over so im thinkin it might be the block any sugestions thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the coolant level physically decreasing?

or is the oil getting milky colored. just asking because if you're not running the engine up to temp, it won't burn off any condensation that is in the engine, and it will accumulate over time.

if it is using coolant, did you put thread sealer on the head bolts when you reinstalled the heads? also, if you end up pulling the intake off again, check in the lifter valley for cracks...there are some bulges cast on the portion of the valley that is part of the cylinder bank, and I have seen a few blocks crack around those bulgings in the casting. just for the heck of it, did you try a new intake?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother had his 350 crack between two cylinders and when you tightened the head bolts it would widen the crack. You couldn't see it when the heads were off.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.060 over is a lot for a 350...its usually not reccomended. It could be in the block...many old SBC did not like being punched that much over.

Quick Reply: 350 water consumption problem