Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd gear scrub only when speed shifting help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear scrub only when speed shifting help!!

: i have a 01 c5 corvett with slp loudmouth tips bassani x pipe bbk ceramic headers haltech cold air bbk throttle body z06 wheels and lowered when i speed shift it grinds in 2nd gear only when i drive normal it dosent grind at all i think the sencros are ok i can shift in all gears without the clutch ok so ithink the sencros ar ok could it be the skip shift or what any help would be greatly appericiated

Last edited by 1askiker; 09-28-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with my car lately.Posted a thread a couple of days ago and i still havent got any responses.Good luck to you getting some.It will help both of us out
Old 09-29-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. I would highly recommend doing the drill mod and getting an adjustable master cylinder. If you keep doing this you can damage the transmission. Do a search for the drill mod. There are some good write ups on it here. It's not that hard, just time consuming.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Here's something else you might want to look in to. I'm going to order one of these very soon. http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master
Old 09-29-2009, 09:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1askiker
: i have a 01 c5 corvett with slp loudmouth tips bassani x pipe bbk ceramic headers haltech cold air bbk throttle body z06 wheels and lowered when i speed shift it grinds in 2nd gear only when i drive normal it dosent grind at all i think the sencros are ok i can shift in all gears without the clutch ok so ithink the sencros ar ok could it be the skip shift or what any help would be greatly appericiated
Originally Posted by blk99sleekbeak
I have the same problem with my car lately.Posted a thread a couple of days ago and i still havent got any responses.Good luck to you getting some.It will help both of us out
Must have missed your (blk99sleek) thread??????

Well guys, this is a pretty easy one....if it is ONLY the one gear (2nd), then I would put it in the 90% chance (or better) that it is tranny issue (synchro).
Now, could be a key or fork pad as well, but either way, tranny needs to be opened up to diagnose for sure.

If you are having this problem with other gears as well, than we could say the hydro's (or clutch) is the cause.

Remember, 1 or 2 gears, normally means tranny.

All or most gears means clutch/hydraulics.

That being said, I would hold off on the MC until you diagnose it 100%, especially in a case where it is safe to assume it is NOT your MC right now. Now, if you WANT to buy teh TICK unit (very nice by the way) then sure go ahead, just don't expect it to fix your 2nd gear problem.

Any other questions, fire away guys.

Heeeeeeeeeyyyyyy that was post #2000 for me..yippee
Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, i'm gonna get a tick MC soon and hopefully solve this problem.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

I was having this same problem in my t56 except it was second and fourth. Once i pulled the trans and took it apart it was the nylon fork pads, or the lack there of. Two of them were in the bottom of the trans and the other two had missing pieces. So i proceeded to rebuild it with a tick level 2 kit and now i am waiting on a UMI chassis mount tq arm to get here so i can finish it up and take it for a test drive.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tripps
Yeah, i'm gonna get a tick MC soon and hopefully solve this problem.
Well, don't expect it to, as that is NOT your problem if you are only grinding 2nd. See above.

Originally Posted by cody161
I was having this same problem in my t56 except it was second and fourth. Once i pulled the trans and took it apart it was the nylon fork pads, or the lack there of. Two of them were in the bottom of the trans and the other two had missing pieces. So i proceeded to rebuild it with a tick level 2 kit and now i am waiting on a UMI chassis mount tq arm to get here so i can finish it up and take it for a test drive.

There you go! Good job. Once you get it back on the road, you are REALLY gonna love your '56. With the bronze pads, billet keys,and carbon fiber blocking rings it REALLY takes teh '56 to a new level, you are gonna love it
Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it simple to look in the tranny for the problem?i know nothing about transmissions.I was going to have tick do the level 2 if its a tranny problem and not a hydraulic problem.I was going to do the tick MC also if i have to get it rebuilt along with a stage 2 monster clutch.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gen414
There you go! Good job. Once you get it back on the road, you are REALLY gonna love your '56. With the bronze pads, billet keys,and carbon fiber blocking rings it REALLY takes teh '56 to a new level, you are gonna love it
The guy i bought the car from told me he had built the transmission 5k miles ago so i was like ok cool, one less thing to worry about. geez i was wrong, the only thing it had was steel 3-4 shift fork and carbon fiber blocker rings, and the thing shifted sooo notchy cause it was stock master and a spec 5 clutch!! needless to say the car also just got a tick adj master installed. torque arm is supposed to be here tomorrow so if all goes well maybe in can drive it tomorrow!!

Is it simple to look in the tranny for the problem?i know nothing about transmissions.I was going to have tick do the level 2 if its a tranny problem and not a hydraulic problem.I was going to do the tick MC also if i have to get it rebuilt along with a stage 2 monster clutch.
I'm in automotive school and i did the transmission there. An older guy that rebuilds transmissions helped me, he had never done a t56 but he had the general idea since he does alot of t5's. Once you get the tailshaft housing off you will beable to see all the metal shavings and whatever else broke and is laying in the bottom of the main case, but you will need to get everything out of the main case to look at the syncronizers and gears.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:38 PM
FormerVendor

Well, I would not call it simple, especially if not familiar with trannies.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear scrub only when speed shifting help!!