Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Gotta adjust the ebrake...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta adjust the ebrake...

It's a pretty simple adjustment (mini drum) just wondering as I don't want it to drag. How tight should I make them...only way I can measure it is how far I can push the pedal down....so how far down should I adjust the pedal? I was thinking half way? Right now it's bottomed out and I don't really trust it. Any input is appreciated...I do remember reading something where you needed a special tool...can't imagine what for, it's just a star wheel.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is an auto adjustment feature built in, it has something to do with pushing the brake down and releasing it 3 times while sitting parked in gear, I don't remember for sure though...
Old 10-07-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll give it a shot, thanks....cause I think I bumped the wheel a little while installing the axle....used to be a little tighter.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i got my assembly replaced under warranty, it was stopping right at halfway, and holding well. over time it worked itself to the floor again. i adjust mine by holding the handle, push about halfway, release. push about halfway, release. do this 3 or 4 times or until you feel it tightening up, and it will now grab much higher. i do this about once a week or when i notice it wont grab well..this may not be textbook but it works.
luckily it is relatively flat here....or i would not be happy with this flaw i the car. i cant see how anyone who uses ebrake daily as a need can tolerate it...
Old 10-07-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

had my ebrake shoes changed at 30k cause they were trashed from previous owner... gotta do them again i believe... (or maybe the drum is fucked... )
Old 10-07-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoJersey05V
had my ebrake shoes changed at 30k cause they were trashed from previous owner... gotta do them again i believe... (or maybe the drum is fucked... )
The drum is the rear rotor. So if the drum is "fucked" as you so eloquently put it, then you need new rear rotors.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nikon
It's a pretty simple adjustment (mini drum) just wondering as I don't want it to drag. How tight should I make them...only way I can measure it is how far I can push the pedal down....so how far down should I adjust the pedal? I was thinking half way? Right now it's bottomed out and I don't really trust it. Any input is appreciated...I do remember reading something where you needed a special tool...can't imagine what for, it's just a star wheel.
The tool is a caliper that transfers the measurment from the inside of the rotor hat to the outside of the shoes so they cane be adjusted out.

Originally Posted by SkullV
There is an auto adjustment feature built in, it has something to do with pushing the brake down and releasing it 3 times while sitting parked in gear, I don't remember for sure though...
There is supposed to be an auto adjustment feature. But me thinks its failed alot of lads.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ ah, special tool I guess your supposed to use that special tool when doing regular drum brakes too I figured it would be something like that.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SkullV
The drum is the rear rotor. So if the drum is "fucked" as you so eloquently put it, then you need new rear rotors.
yea thats what i was getting at.. next brake job has got to include rotors!! front and rear pads... front and rear rotors.. new ebrake shoes... add them to the list!!

Quick Reply: Gotta adjust the ebrake...