LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

So batteries do explode after all lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So batteries do explode after all lol

So yeah i should just blog this up but figured it might be a good read if your bored.

So last night i got my car back after i toasted a head gasket. I metup with my friend a local food place and we redid the tune with acouple adjustments.

On the way home i drove over a very bumpy pair of railroad tracks and noticed the lights flicker in my car. Soon after it died. I Figured a terminal clamp had come loose. It was rather dark at the time and had no flashlights to check. My friend showed up with a light and checked the battery out. The top half of the battery was split in half and acid was everywhere! WTF! LOL

So we got the terminal clamps off. The batteries in these cars are a PITA even in the light. So my friend drove me to Walmart and i picked up a Battery.

We bought a couple of bungee cables and retro fitted the battery under the hood then bungeed the hood down the best we could.

Made it home safe and sound. Took 6 hours to clean up all the acid splashes it got into everything!!!!!!!. Baking soda and warm water washed everything.

Question is has anyone had a similiar incident?

Thanks for reading the boring read haha
SigmaX6
07 GXP

Mods:
DIY intake
Vector IAT
Flipped Motor mount
Shift Kit
Trifecta Tune
TBS
13.9 best time
AVG 14.1
Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a new one.....PICTURES NEXT TIME!! but interesting non the less
Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I just had my second Delco leaking But no more Optima Red Top
Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

so yall havent read the warnings for batteries? LOL

When you charge a lead acid battery (traditional car battery) the by product is Hydrogen gas (Hindenburg anyone). That is why the warnings say only charge in a well ventalated area. and not to charge the battery in the car when the hood is closed... but when you are driving isnt the alt. charging the battery LOL. When its charging the acid inside can begin to boil (usually over charging).

Consider yourself lucky. I the last one I saw that exploded was in the shop. It lierally blew the headlight out of the car. It was on a charger and the hood was lowered down onto the safety latch.

But under normal conditions its NOT normal for a battery to explode. It can happen but something that isnt likely. Now you Dry cell batteries (optimas) dont produce the same hydrogen gas so the wont explode. This is also why you can trunk mount an optima and leave it open in the truck but a normal battery has to be put in a battery box with a vent tube installed
Old 10-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mels SS
I just had my second Delco leaking But no more Optima Red Top
My AC delco is leaking... I personally hate the maintenance free batteries. Optima Red Top Dry cell is coming soon.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Launching!

How Hard is it to do a relocation to the trunk for these LS4? did one for a maverick grabber earlier but it was stripped down for the strip.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SigmaX6
How Hard is it to do a relocation to the trunk for these LS4? did one for a maverick grabber earlier but it was stripped down for the strip.
Wouldnt be harder than any other car. make a good ground in the truck will be the hardest thing. I got a 1100watt RMS amp and 1.5farad capacitor back there and all I really had to do to ground them was find a spot to scrap some paint off. Power wire is run down the passanger side under the side molding/carpet inside then out a groment and too the power distribution block by the battery. My stereo is all 4 gauge Kicker wire, so its about the size of the battery wire you would run.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i might get one of those dyna batt 11 lb batteries see how that works for me soon here mine leaks and gets all the terminals corroded makes the GP into a turd
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had several leaking and smoking batteries at work. I haven't had one explode yet. But I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

the alternator doesnt charge the battery it keeps it charged.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Launching!

It keeps it charged by charging it.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by radorider03
It keeps it charged by charging it.

lol, +1
Old 10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

if you have a battery at say 9 volts and the car barely starts, the alternator may get it to 13 -14 volts but your gonna fry your stator windings in your alternator cuz it will work to hard. so there for it does not charge it it keeps it at 12+ volts where the battery is already pre charged . plz correct me if im wrong, this is just what i have learned??... sorry