Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 build up

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 build up

I have a daily driven stock 02 camaro ss m6 with 100,000 miles on it. I want to find a used ls1 block and put a 383 stroker kit in it with a nice set of heads and a cam. I want some more power but still be able to drive it to work and be realiable. Also I wanted to know if I could build it so im would be able to take about 5-7 psi laster on.

--john--
Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

im not sure if i understand your question...you can def. get a 383 and be able to daily drive it, and yes, depending on the specs you have it built to it will EASILY handle 5-7 psi later....that depends on compression tho....the more it is built for boost, the bigger dog it will be without it, if you build it really stout, it wont handle much boost....if you go with like 10.0-1 compression it should run pretty good, and be able to handle 8 pounds no problem, and thats prolly on the safe side...9.0-1 will handle a lot more boost and also cost you about15whp tho without it.....go up to 11.5-1 and you will gain about 20whp+ but wont be able to boost, u gotta just gotta know what you eventually want before you get that motor built.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

your looking at about a 40whp spread with no boost when you pick your commpression, so kind of a big deal possibly if your gonna be n/a for a few years or something. if you got the cash id get it built at 11.5-1 and when ready to boost it get new heads and sell your old ones. I think you need to have a long talk with an engine builder and let him no where you stand and he can guide you from there.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Teching In

thanks im guna build it at 11 or 11.5:1. Im going to probubly running it N/A for about a year or two. What kind of horse power can i look at for a daily driver 383 on 91 octaine. Thanks

--john--
Old 10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

ahh thats a broad question...mainly because everyone has a different definition of "daily driver"...but to pick a kind of middle of the road, common definition of daily driver at 11 or 11.5 id say 475whp shouldnt be a problem and run low 11's all day long....if you want to go a little more aggressive you could build it to prolly nick the 10's with closer to 500 whp and still daily drive it, obviously its manners wont be as good but it can be done. if you want good street manners look into the ms3 cam....it has a reputation for solid power and not such great manners but thats with a 346ci....in a 383 that cam will be a lot more mild than in a 346bc its all relative so manners wise, it will act like a smaller cam, yet still will run hard....
so far as 91 octane and 11:1-11.5:1......ehhh...iffy.....if it were my car i would definitely run 93 at the least. 91 is going to be hard on your motor, and i wouldnt be supprised to hear it ping at 11.5....i have 11.2:1 in my car and i was forced to run 89 once and it was pinging......If your set on the 91, i would prolly go with like 10.8 comp......
Old 10-14-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

by the way, talk to an engine builder about cam choice, ms3 would be good but an option would def. be to look into a custom cam, that way you can discuss the manners/power out put compremise you want, and your engine builder can set ya up.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah do not get the ms3... great cam but id go custom for sure. whats your budget on this ? your leaving it way to broad
Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Well when I say daily driver I mean going to work and back, running into town, running down the street. Ok 93 isnt a problem. I think Im going to go for 11 to 1. And my budget well I dont know for sure yet cause you always end up spending more but I guess around 6 grand.

--john--
Old 10-18-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

are you going to be doing your own work? 6k is gonna be cuttin in a little bit close...figure if you get a good deal and get a new block for 500, the stroker kit is going to be like 2500 for a cheap one, then cam will be 500 after tax, you will want new pushrods for sure plus gaskets and if you do it right then arp studs also....thats an easy 600 there, in fact almost surely more....you are prolly going to want new heads too 300 for a cheap port job up to almost 3000 for some sick heads....then you have to realize your fuel system likely wont keep up so you will need a new fuel pump and injectors wich together will be like 700....after that a tune is going to run you 500 or so.......thats 6k right there if you do all your own work, it also is figured in on the cheap side so it could be more,..if you got the cash i def. would do it, if your starting to realize its sounds like a huge job, there is a lot of other stuff you can do to make that car fast keeping it stock bottom end.....just something to keep in mind.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

another thing to add is even if you keep your heads then you need springs, thats a couple hundred, if you choose aftermarket heads instead you budget will likely be way over 6k, then with the power your making you can count on your drivetrain being a ticking time bomb depending on how you drive.....dont get me wrong im not trying to discourage you, i just want you to know what your getting into before you drop 10k....if you got the cash to toss at the car tho, you will have one bad *** car.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

my brothers got a wrecked SS with 95% of the parts being good. (hood, spoiler, MOTOR). Its a 6 speed car, all he took was the transmission. let me know if youre interested.

St.Louis MO
Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Im fully aware of the cost of things but thank you very much because these ls1's are new to me. I deff want the 383 kit. And I will be putting everything together. I know how things add up and I know that when the smoke clears I will have a lot more than 6 grand into the car. Im not sure if I should do the work to the engine I have in the car or pick up a block? Can you guys help me on that...like pros and cons the engine has about 100,000 miles on it now.

--john--
Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

if you want my honest opinion check out texas speed and performance....they will build you a 383 short block for like 3700 bucks, you pick most the parts too, just go to the site and check it out...im considering a 383 myself just a little short on funds, when im ready though, im going through texas speed....if you do it that way you will be able to sell your short block...maybe get 1500 or something back out of somone who blew up their motor and just wants a stock replacement.....if you machine your block you wont be able to do that so thats a definite advantage to buy a complete shortblock....
as far as going option 2 or 3.....in my opinion would be to buy a block and machine it....reason being you can do the same thing as above...being you can sell the short block that came out of it all in one peice...if you machine your block out of your car, you will spend the same amount, and have nothing to sell but a bunch of rods and a crank in a grocery bag...so i would go texas speed, if theres somethin about that you dont like (say you would enjoy building it yourself) then i would go option 2 and buy a used block and have it machined....i still really lean torward texas speed or an engine builder though, another reason for that is when you buy a used block you have to question why that block is for sale....a large reason would be that the block came out of a car with a blown motor....theres many reasons a motor can blow, one of those is a bad oil passage.....not the most likely but you could be buying a block with a bad passage and your motor could blow too.....i really advise just buying a short block off texas speed man, cheaper, less work on your part, and you can rest assured knowing you got yourself a quality block...i believe they are brand new also....