Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Are you interested in GT35Rs?
Most Definitely!
56.52%
Maybe
34.78%
Not at all
8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

APS Guys: Who would be interested in GT35Rs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default APS Guys: Who would be interested in GT35Rs?

Just like the title says; Who here, with an APS kit, would be interested in some bolt-on, legitimate Garrett GT35Rs?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be shopping for upgrades once mine blow.... Don’t know how the LG upgrade guys are going to like upgrading again though.

Any details you wanna share about this proposed upgrade? Target price?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My original are still working..a miracle yes but so far they are.
I have ebay centers to try out if the aps fail and still am considering the LG but the LG are very pricey and not BB. I still think Gt35R will not fit very well in there and since they are not cheap by time you possibly add in different downpipe housings and maybe even different exhaust manifold housings bet it would be like 4000 buck upgrade.

The LG seem to be getting decent numbers and spool should still be fine on my 408. So not that interested I don't think but nice to have options.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Launching!

im looking at possibly an upgrade to the lg's. how much?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

I haven't really got any pricing down. I'm still talking with a foundry about custom turbine housings and am contacting Garrett distributors for a possible mass purchase of GT35Rs minus the turbine housing. Once I have pricing on those two things I'll have more of a concrete price for my turbos.

These GT35Rs would be a direct bolt in for the APS kit. They would have the same crazy manifold flange and would use the APS downpipe.

This thread is basically just to gauge interest on ball bearing upgrades for the APS kit to see if it would be feasible for me to have them made.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Launching!

since your talking about using the crazy aps flange id prolly be in, but if it takes exhaust manifolds prolly not, since the f-body kit uses different manifolds than the gto kit
Old 10-17-2009, 02:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would def be interested, in like 3 months. Im currently deployed.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

<----------- !!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bondosgto
since your talking about using the crazy aps flange id prolly be in, but if it takes exhaust manifolds prolly not, since the f-body kit uses different manifolds than the gto kit
Yes, crazy APS flange! The turbos will bolt into the APS kit!
Old 10-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Launching!

gt35r or lg? damn you!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned

i dont mean to be a dick. but why does everyone over loo the already ball bearing option out there?

^^^
ball bear (just like gt35r)
flows 65lb/min ( little less then gt35r but still great)
bolts right in the aps compressor and exhuast housing (better then gt35r. no modification needed)

just my two cents. but you will probly spend more then 2200 for your gt35rs. these ball bearing ones are 2200 plus ship. say 2700.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 01-22-2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: nonsponsor url
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

So we have to send away the aps or other center carts to these guys and they modify them it sounds like? Also you will need restrictors in the oil lines most likely as BB turbos cannot stand near as much oil as non BB types.

So are you getting some of these soon?
Am kicking around my options over winter and will be getting LG or something similar.
I like the lg as they are plug and play. I don' want to be changing out downpipes or manifolds and have problems with air filters ,etc.There is not much room in there at all for much bigger turbos.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Banned

^^^ the billet you dont have to send yours in. just call them up. say i need two TD05 centers for 20G turbos. tell them what lb/min and there you go.

the said the ball bearing need oil resrictors. so if they gogt35r or the billet turbo. then they both need the restirctors.

and yes i hope to have some soon. not getting my rear end is really frustrating me. i want to drive car with all motor for about 100 miles before i put turbos ons. so after car is running is when iwill order these billet. they said it will take me two weeks to get. i should have motor broke in in that time.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok..but pretty sure they are td06 H centers in the aps standard kit.almost 100% sure actually not tdo5.
So with these you don't get a hogged out compressor housing like the lg but you do get BB turbos.And if they are also plug and play that is good thing. I would triple check to make sure you get the right centers think you said 65lb min which is 1300 engine hp max versus 1400.BB should spool a bit faster and tends to hold boost better between shifts on manual cars.
So do they supply proper restrictors?
Anyway nice to have options.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
i dont mean to be a dick. but why does everyone over loo the already ball bearing option out there?
Those do look like a good setup, the thing I would be worried about is the legit centers not fitting the knock-off housings.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
Those do look like a good setup, the thing I would be worried about is the legit centers not fitting the knock-off housings.
They might be knock off centers but normal tdo6h centers fit in there fine.
Lowbird already is running the same ebay centers I bought from kando dynamics.I kept mine as back up.He installed his..plug and play. LG has the hogged out compressor housing but its standard compressor housing ,Exhaust housing is also no problem on the lg centers of course.
Big Birds company looks like pretty good alternative to more expensive gt35r setup. At least for guys that already have the standard kits.

Now for guys with no kit then your planned gt35r option will be fine but looks like will be way up there in price. Course will still have good money into my kit by time spend 3000 on the upgraded turbos. Oh well some decent numbers coming from the LG turbos already. GT30 are likely better fit than gt35.I run a 65 lb min currently in my 97 talon from Forced Performance .
It kicks *** and is great in a manual car being BB. The bb are not as critical in auto cars and don't think are rebuildable like the non bb. I do like Garrett turbos though but genuine mits are also usually very very reliable and personally seen them go way over 100,000 miles.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Ok..but pretty sure they are td06 H centers in the aps standard kit.almost 100% sure actually not tdo5.
So with these you don't get a hogged out compressor housing like the lg but you do get BB turbos.And if they are also plug and play that is good thing. I would triple check to make sure you get the right centers think you said 65lb min which is 1300 engine hp max versus 1400.BB should spool a bit faster and tends to hold boost better between shifts on manual cars.
So do they supply proper restrictors?
Anyway nice to have options.
sorry i thought they were td05. but either way the billet company says they do td05 and td06 centers.

and yes i did say 65lbs/min. that is all i need 1300 flywheel get me 1000 wheel.

and worst case i call louis and get his compressor and whell. and run these bb style. i wounder if i can just buy the bb centers and shafts. no wheels. then just run lg wheels.

best of both.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
They might be knock off centers but normal tdo6h centers fit in there fine.
Lowbird already is running the same ebay centers I bought from kando dynamics.I kept mine as back up.He installed his..plug and play. LG has the hogged out compressor housing but its standard compressor housing ,Exhaust housing is also no problem on the lg centers of course.
Big Birds company looks like pretty good alternative to more expensive gt35r setup. At least for guys that already have the standard kits.
Sounds like the billet centers are a viable option now that we know that they will fit. I might pick up some of those centers for my mild build (346). I will definitely be going with Garretts for my wild build (427+ Warhawk).

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
and yes i did say 65lbs/min. that is all i need 1300 flywheel get me 1000 wheel.

and worst case i call louis and get his compressor and whell. and run these bb style. i wounder if i can just buy the bb centers and shafts. no wheels. then just run lg wheels.

best of both.
I doubt LG will sell just the wheels, although I could be wrong.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I have been doing a lot of research on these crap APS turbos. I have 02 Z06 with an aps kit on it. My passenger side turbo just took a crap on me-leaking bad. The turbine wheel that aps uses is a TE06H it measures 67.1mm on the inducer side and 58.8mm on the exducer. The ebay company Kando Dynamics makes this http://cgi.ebay.com/Turbocharger-Mit...item3ef8c80d13
. I emailed them and asked them if they can sell it with the chra and compressor housing and I also asked them if they make that same TD06SH with a garrett 60-1 compressor wheel and housing. I will let everybody know what I find out.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I hope you meant tdo6h that is what I got from kando dynamics. They say their are genuine mits but hard to be sure only so far know one guy that is running them and no problems last I heard..He is on the forum but don't post much..LOWBIRD..

They also weren't sure what flow theirs have but would think around same as stock aps 45 to maybe 50lb min.
60-1 are not ball bearing so not sure how they would be. But again nice to have options.
I thought you had gt35R on your z06 kit?

Quick Reply: APS Guys: Who would be interested in GT35Rs?