Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any Drawbacks to SFC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any Drawbacks to SFC?

I've read a lil bit on here regarding SFC and was wondering if there any drawbacks you guys noticed at all after installing them? I wanna keep the car a long time and from what I've been able to gather on here it will help keep everything tighter for a longer period of time.

I noticed a few members saying the ride quality got a bit worse as the chassis is now much stiffer. Any other drawbacks or is it mostly a positive mod?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't really feel the added weight which imho would be the only drawback. Once I welded my on I went driving over a few train tracks and noticed how the car would pivot front to back rather than side to side.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

I can't think of any drawabacks except for the added weight. Don't get the bolt on SFC's! Get the weld in kind!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can buy the bolt in if they are cheaper and weld those in, throw the bolts away.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

A couple years ago I installed some bolt-in UMI Subframes. I went with the bolt-in kind so if I didn't like them I could take them off and sell them.

Anyways, I installed them to stiffen things up a tad and prevent those infamous dimples in the hood and such. I didn't notice a huge difference by any means but I liked the stiffer feel of the car, made it feel a little more solid. Based off my experience I would recommend them. Only downside IMO is the weight. However unless your **** and trying to keep the car on a super strict diet, 25lbs. is nothing to worry about.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a 23K mile WS6 and so far she feels very very solid even tho its all stock so I wanna keep it that way years to come.

I also noticed a couple light dimples in the quarter panels from the rear twisting. I'm hoping to get them fixed and have the car equipped with SFC to prevent them in the future.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The other thing that keeps me from going that way,
is the corrosion you will eventually see from burning
off the zinc on both sides of the sheet metal. One
you can get to with paint, one you can't. Talking
about welding.

Not a concern on a car you plan to wreck or sell
before it rusts, but it is for a "keeper" where the
salt or humidity are problems.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The other thing that keeps me from going that way,
is the corrosion you will eventually see from burning
off the zinc on both sides of the sheet metal. One
you can get to with paint, one you can't. Talking
about welding.

Not a concern on a car you plan to wreck or sell
before it rusts, but it is for a "keeper" where the
salt or humidity are problems.
Never thought about this. What if you dont drive the car in the rain let alone salt/winter?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed UMI bolt on ones so I could try them.That way if I didn't like them I could remove them.I ended up welding them in.I like the stiffer feel with them in.With the stock decarbon shocks the car rode a little stiffer and was a little more jaring.Then I installed koni sa shocks.You may not like the ride quality with stock shocks.

Last edited by transwiz; 10-25-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transwiz
I installed UMI bolt on ones so I could try them.That way if I didn't like them I could remove them.I ended up welding them in.I like the stiffer feel with them in.With the stock decarbon shocks the car rode a little stiffer and was a little more jaring.Then I installed koni sa shocks.You may not like the ride quality with stock shocks.

I say buy bolt ons ond then if you don't like them you can sell them.You get a lot of opinions on here about SFC's.
As long as they dont jar my interior apart more over time.....
Old 10-26-2009, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

The SFC's will definitely stiffen up the car and make the ride a little more firm, sometimes with a little vibration at higher speeds (above 100)

The added weight is not much of an issue, besides its in the right place, as low as possible.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives, and if you are keeping the car for a long time, they will help keep body panel gaps from forming as well as interior rattles and t-top leaks.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The weight is the only drawback if you want to consider that a drawback. There are way more benefits to having connectors. Weld ons are the way to go. We have two different styles of weld on connectors, Boxed and tubular. The boxed are by far the stronger of the two and will give you the best results. As far as the rust on the unpainted metal, you can use the 3M rust fighter. It is in a spray can with a straw type nozzle that allows you to spray into tiny holes or areas to prevent rust or corrosion. It works great. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyChassis.htm
Attached Thumbnails Any Drawbacks to SFC?-sfc004rsmall.jpg   Any Drawbacks to SFC?-sfc001hsmall.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:17 PM
01z
TECH Regular

i had mine welded in and i sprayed undercoating on the welds, so hopefully it wont rust. i also dont drive it in the rain so that helps im sure.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transwiz
I installed UMI bolt on ones so I could try them.That way if I didn't like them I could remove them.I ended up welding them in.
Hello
Thanks for the business and choosing UMI Performance! like mentioned above we do offer a wide variety of SFC's Either bolt on or weld on! Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ajdigjui6298m7

If you have any other questions or problems feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: Any Drawbacks to SFC?