What do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default What do i do?

O.k I bought a part from a member here last Friday on the 23rd of this month. He ships it out to me that night, so I say good deal. Well I have been selling parts here on tech this whole week and honestly spaced out on the part I was waiting for. So just yesterday i send the guy an email and ask him to send me the tracking number so I can see where the part is. He tells me not to try and pull a fast one on him that it shows to have been delivered on Monday the 26th. I'm like o.k, he sounded like he had an attitude but it's undertandable he thinks I am trying to screw him over. Ok so I go to the post office this morning and they say it shows that it was delivered. He paid for delivery confirmation, but no insurance? It does not require any signing when delivered or anything!! So how is it a delivery confirmation. So I went to the post office and they said they don't have the box, they told me to wait for my mail carrier and ask her if my box was on her truck. Well, my original mail carrier is off until next Monday but her replacement is driving her truck and I just stopped her right now and she was kind enough to check her truck for me and she found nothing. What gives? So what do I do from here? The post office tells me that the sender has to make a claim for the loss of the box. So, what do I do?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, was insurance offered to you? If it was and you declined it, you might be SOL. If the guy never offered you insurance and didn't have the foresight to insure his shipment to you, then he needs to fix the problem.

What kind of part/how much money are we talking about here?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Corny40
Well, was insurance offered to you? If it was and you declined it, you might be SOL. If the guy never offered you insurance and didn't have the foresight to insure his shipment to you, then he needs to fix the problem.

What kind of part/how much money are we talking about here?
He never offered me insurance. I thought insurance was always a must to do. But some people don't want to pay the extra 4-5 dllrs. I thought he would insure it so I never asked. Every part I have shipped I have added insurance. O.k I bought a LS6 oil pump ported, polished, and shimmed. It was only bolted to the engine but never used. Should I take this up with paypal?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Well, I would see what he's willing to do as far as the post office and pursuing a claim with them before I started going through PayPal. Give him a chance to work this out with/for you. It's really only been a few days and you may still get your part. Just this year, I had ordered something that was delivered USPS w/delivery confirmation and they said it had been delivered when I hadn't actually gotten it. I even talked to the Mail-man and he swore he delivered it. Well, about a week later, it shows up. I guess that Mail-man didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

Anyway, **** happens. I'd bet with the regular mail-person being on vacation, that might have something to do with it. Give it a few days and see how co-operative the seller is.

Honestly though, if he never offered you insurance, or didn't bother to get delivery confirmation with a signature, then he needs to refund your money. Most good sellers will insure their shipments or make sure they get signature confirmation, so they know their stuff gets delivered. I know I do. I don't mind paying the extra buck or two, to make sure I never have to deal with **** like this. Also, if you weren't aware, delivery confirmation is usually free w/USPS Priority Mail. Good luck man!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

I'm gonna send the member a pm and see what he is willing to do.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just a fyi. i ship thru fedex and request fedex when i purchase anything.
i charge more for shipping and dont mind payin extra. but i know my parts will arirve both ways. and eliminates probs ive had with ups ans usps. i will not use either to ship parts anymore.
hope you get resolved. becuase it really does suck to have to absorb a cost.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Teching In

I've shipped enough things to know always specifically request insurance. It's nobody's responsibility to insure a shipment if it isn't asked for. That should be worked out as part of the purchase. If the package was lost, it's USPS's fault. The shipper didn't insure the package, but you didn't ask.
I shipped a pair of heads one time via FedEx uninsured. Well they lost them. Got my $100 from FedEx and worked out a deal with the buyer where we split the loss. Then 6 MONTHS (yes MONTHS) later UPS (not FedEx) drops a box off on my porch containing the heads....
So anything is possible
Old 10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eidetic
I've shipped enough things to know always specifically request insurance. It's nobody's responsibility to insure a shipment if it isn't asked for. That should be worked out as part of the purchase. If the package was lost, it's USPS's fault. The shipper didn't insure the package, but you didn't ask.
I shipped a pair of heads one time via FedEx uninsured. Well they lost them. Got my $100 from FedEx and worked out a deal with the buyer where we split the loss. Then 6 MONTHS (yes MONTHS) later UPS (not FedEx) drops a box off on my porch containing the heads....
So anything is possible
I'd hate to do business with you. How do you not insure parts being shipped? Kind of lets the buyers here know that you don't care enough of the parts you are selling. Basically, what you are saying is "screw the buyer if he didn't ask".... that's no way to do good business. I'll remember your name and know not to buy anything from you. Everyone I have dealt with here on tech has always insured my parts and for that fact I have always insured the parts I send out. Ask anyone here who has bought from me, it's the only way to keep from having these problems. Not insuring parts is just asking for problems. I didn't ask him because it has never been an issue, since everyone here on tech has more sense than screwing people over a part. Atleast most guys on here are better than "screw it, if he didn't ask for insurance it's his problem". enough said.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe they delivered it to the wrong house. We get other peoples mail quite often so maybe it will turn up later on. Good luck

J
Old 10-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
Maybe they delivered it to the wrong house. We get other peoples mail quite often so maybe it will turn up later on. Good luck

J
i got a T56 from T56s inc and it took fed ex 3 times to deliver it, thats 3 times from where ever in south texas T56s Inc was to right outside of Ft Worth where i was. The idiot driver was trying to deliver it to renfro Street when he was supposed to go to Renfro COURT.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

I was also hoping they just delivered it to the wrong address but I have gone to both streets that have my same numeric address but nothing. Also they said it has been delivered and they say it's not at the post office and it's not in the mail truck so hopefully I will find out more info on monday. Thanks guys.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
I'd hate to do business with you. How do you not insure parts being shipped? Kind of lets the buyers here know that you don't care enough of the parts you are selling. Basically, what you are saying is "screw the buyer if he didn't ask".... that's no way to do good business.
First of all this was nearly 8 years ago, I was 19 and didn't know any better. Thanks for your display of mental midgetry in jumping to conclusions. I always insure everything now and have ever since.