Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter not touching flywheel, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter not touching flywheel, Please Help

Well, everything is connected, all fluids are in, and my Ls1 is ready to fire up in its new Miata home. We hot wired the starter and it spun, but didn't make contact with the flywheel. So we pulled it out and hot wired it outside of the car. The gear slid out and spun fine, so we thought that because we swapped from an automatic to a manual transmission that maybe the starters are some how different. It seems that is not the case. So here is the question, what's wrong? Why is the starter working but not connecting to the flywheel? If you guys can imagine, we are sooooo close to making this sucker run for the first time. We really wanna see and hear this happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

you need a new starter dude.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Need more info about the starter issue. Can you take pics of the no contact when the starter is powered? The starter doesn't only spin, it also extends to engage to the flywheel. Did you buy a 168 teeth flywheel? Any shims added behind the flywheel & crank?

A few comments:

-Keep an eye on that water bump. The 4 bolt pulley indicates an old style pump. May want to get a new one. There may not be much life left in that one.

-What rear end is that? You need at minimum a Ford 7.5; 8.8 is better or an RX7 style. Also, need a ridgid rear end mount, not just poly mounts & torque tube.

-Need minimum upgraded front springs (coil overs). Fronts & rears preffered. It will be dangerous to drive the car on stock Miata suspension.

Build is comming along nicely. Just be responsable & careful while driving it. I call mine Death on wheels when operated in the wrong hands. In other words when driven carelessly. It's one thing to see the driving Court Judge about a ticket & quite another to be involved in a serious accident.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^

Awe ****, thought I was replying in the conversion section. How did it end up in the external area?

Mod's. please move to his build thread in the conversion/hybrids section. Thanks
Old 10-31-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have seen starters appear to function normally on the bench but when placed in the car, they dont work right. A new starter has always remedied the situation.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Need more info about the starter issue. Can you take pics of the no contact when the starter is powered? The starter doesn't only spin, it also extends to engage to the flywheel. Did you buy a 168 teeth flywheel? Any shims added behind the flywheel & crank?

A few comments:

-Keep an eye on that water bump. The 4 bolt pulley indicates an old style pump. May want to get a new one. There may not be much life left in that one.

-What rear end is that? You need at minimum a Ford 7.5; 8.8 is better or an RX7 style. Also, need a ridgid rear end mount, not just poly mounts & torque tube.

-Need minimum upgraded front springs (coil overs). Fronts & rears preffered. It will be dangerous to drive the car on stock Miata suspension.

Build is comming along nicely. Just be responsable & careful while driving it. I call mine Death on wheels when operated in the wrong hands. In other words when driven carelessly. It's one thing to see the driving Court Judge about a ticket & quite another to be involved in a serious accident.
It was late last night, both my father and I were very tired. It turned out we were simply hot wiring the starter incorrectly. The engine cranks fine now, should start up tomorrow, thanks guys for all the input and help. I'm using an 87' Rx7 Turbo II rear end. The way I have it mounted is extremely strong, why do you think my set up is unstable? This is how they are mounted in Rx7's that make in upwards of 700 hp, except for the torque arm which will add even more stability. Think about it, the rear end is going to want to torque upwards, meaning the torque arm will also. The downward weight of the transmission as well as the strength of the trans mount will prevent the upwards movement of the arm. I don't want to sound like a douche, but I haven't seen a stronger set up then mine in a Miata with a TII rear. As for suspension, I have to get my 1.8L sized Torsen LSD sold to fund the purchase of the coilovers I want, and I'll cross the water pump bridge if I come to it. In any case, thanks for the input.

Last edited by Ls1Mx-5; 10-31-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Starter not touching flywheel, Please Help