Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front lower ball joints don't look seated

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front lower ball joints don't look seated

Long story short - doing my Koni/Strano install for the front, found some torn dust boots on the ball joints, so I am trying to replace them.

The (potential) problem - I went with AFCO low friction ball joints for the lower ones, and when I went to put them in with the ball joint press (giant c-clamp), they just don't look like they are seated perfectly in the arm. Basically, it looks like the outer edge sits the way it is supposed to, but the inner edge looks like it isn't quite seated in the arm (like it needs 1/16" more on just that side).

I've already bent one giant c-clamp in the process of trying to seat it a little better to no avail...they seated the exact same on both sides.

Should I just drive it a little and see if it makes any noise or if the wheel just falls off and I die? They just don't seem like they want to go in any further than they currently are, but they just don't look quite right.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the hardest time installing those damn things. i gave up and the end and removed the control arms and took it to a shop to have them pressed in. i had the same problem. one looked seated in but the other one was still out a bit. and it didnt look right. i took it back to the shop and showed it to him and he pressed it to the point where the control was about to start bending. so i just left it like that. i have driven almost 3 months on it, and so far so good. im still alive. haha.
not all these ball joints and control arms are identical, so there will be some differences. but if u cant press it in more than u already have, then i would say just leave it alone, u should be good.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some pics.would help to get a better view and suggestion.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 35th SS
some pics.would help to get a better view and suggestion.
I'll get some in the morning...the lighting is horrible in my garage at night, although they'll probably come out equally crappy in the morning.

At first glance, they look alright, but when you look up in there, it just looks a bit off...at least they are the same on both sides.

They wanted to start crooked a couple of times, but as soon as it did that, I immediately pulled them back out and started them again. Once they LOOKED like they were going in straight, they actually went in pretty easily with the c-clamp ball joint press.

Yahelou - did yours actually end up pressing in any further or look any better after you took the arms out? I cranked the absolute **** out of the passenger side one and ended up with a bent c-clamp (and you know how big those things are, granted they are cheap Chinese steel), but it didn't seat any further.

I'm leaning towards just driving it and seeing what happens, but damn...just kinda makes you wonder.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

no they didnt change at all. they wouldnt go in anymore then they were. if u bent the c-clamp and i didnt go in anymore, then i think you are alright. i wouldnt worry about it too much. i would just try driving on them a bit and then jack the car back up and re-check everything.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well...just drove it, and everything seemed okay. I'll just keep an eye on them...but they are silent, so I'm pretty happy.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put the clamp back on and get it as tight as possible, then smack the arm of the clamp really hard with a big hammer.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Put the clamp back on and get it as tight as possible, then smack the arm of the clamp really hard with a big hammer.
i dont know if i would do that. if it is workin out good, then leave it alone. just stay on the safe side. u dont want to risk damaging anything.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yahelou
i dont know if i would do that. if it is workin out good, then leave it alone. just stay on the safe side. u dont want to risk damaging anything.
Why not? It's the correct way. What could you damage?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Done did...wouldn't budge any more.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Launching!

get a compressor and an air hammer and do it right
Old 03-31-2010, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

If you have a bmr control arm the ball joint they use is 0.100" smaller. I had to take my replacement ball joint to a machine shop to get them cut down. Otherwise the ball joint would not fit in the control arm.

2002gt

Quick Reply: Front lower ball joints don't look seated