what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what is it?

So i recently aquired a built motor..... long story short i want to go to a shop to see what the bore and stroke are without dissasembling. any suggestions in the houston area?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol good luck....

btw i use g-force for just about everything.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

does g-force have the tools to check bore and stroke?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

theres a number of diferent ways, measureing the volume of air in the cylinder is the easyest. they screw into the sparkplug hole and turn the motor over and then use that info to guess the displacement, the bore and stroke.
can also take off the oil pan mic the bore and get the part number off the crank
Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
theres a number of diferent ways, measureing the volume of air in the cylinder is the easyest. they screw into the sparkplug hole and turn the motor over and then use that info to guess the displacement, the bore and stroke.
can also take off the oil pan mic the bore and get the part number off the crank
If you are dong this for the first time...how would you know exactly what the bore was? I've seen people take a dial bore gauge and rock it back and forth, and also higher up the cylinder and in the middle of the cylinder. how do you know what the actual bore is as opposed to taper?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by youguessit
So i recently aquired a built motor..... long story short i want to go to a shop to see what the bore and stroke are without dissasembling. any suggestions in the houston area?
how did u 'aquire' this motor anyways?

can't u just get a hold of the previous owner/builder?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by demonpixel
If you are dong this for the first time...how would you know exactly what the bore was? I've seen people take a dial bore gauge and rock it back and forth, and also higher up the cylinder and in the middle of the cylinder. how do you know what the actual bore is as opposed to taper?
well the easy answer to that is it should be close enough to a known number that it confirms it. I.E. you know the bore size of the different cube configurations and its either really close to what it should be or really not.

otherwise, check the middle cylinders, 3,4,5, or 6, mic the bore from the front to back, ( the crank will push, and consequently wear the cylinder bore in the direction of side to side way more than front to back ) and do it as close to the head surface as possible MINUS THE LAST QUARTER INCH. the piston typically will not wear that last lil bit at all, its called Ring Ridge, and you dont want to mic that area.

The pistons will (should) also be stamped on the top if there over, itall say ".030" or whatever its suposed to be bored. if its not been bored it wont say anything
Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Awesome info, thanks! Had no idea pistons for bored cylinders were stamped on top.