Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My head is spinning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My head is spinning!!!

After a LOT of searching/reading, i'm more confused than ever. I'm totally new to turbos, and i'm looking for a turbo for my stock 99' formula LS1. I'd like to make around 525+hp. Fun around town and some track use, but there are so many turbos to choose from! I hear lots of talk about the Garrett GT-76, except i can't even find it listed on their website. Is this because of the new vs. old naming system? According to the maps, the GT4294 or GT4202 would best fit my needs, but i'm guessing on a lot of the #'s, like VE and intake air temp. And what about ball bearing? From what i read they're nice, unless you have to repair them. I'm also thinking around a .90 A/R. I guess what i'm saying is it's nice to read about stuff but i don't have the experience to actually pick one. Someone help me out please. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

I would go with Master Power, they are a budget turbo but are definitely great for the price. I personally run a T70 but theres always bigger. Modular Turbo has always given me great service and advice.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

go to turbonetics website, thers a long writeup on there about how to choose turbo size, how to read turbo maps, housing size, etc.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Compressor maps can be tricky in a big way. You can PM some from the turbos you are considering and I will be happy to look them over. Honestly though, there are some people in this site that basically do that exactly all day, you might try PMing some of them.

Regarding the temp and ve numbers, keep in mind that you really dont have to be dead on. The really important number in terms of selecting a compressor size is the amount of airflow you need for 525HP, and roughly waht pressure ratio will be required to get that much flow through your motor.

It gets said everytime, but Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is deinfitely a good read for that stuff. The book is a bit out of date now with the rapidly improving hardware available, but the basics in it are top notch.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the turbonetics site. I followed the math on the Garrett site to get my #'s. I actually used a target of 550hp. I came up w/a PR of 2.03, max airflow of 60.5lb/min, and min airflow of 48.6lb/min.

Quick Reply: My head is spinning!!!