LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

07 GXP alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 07 GXP alignment problem

I have a 2007 GXP with 28000 miles. The original tires on the rear were worn on the inside to the chords, but like brand new on the outside of the tread. I went to the local dealer and had new tires installed (Eagle F1s) all the way around. Also had it aligned. After 4000 miles rears are cupped on the inside of the tread. Took it back to have alignment rechecked. Everything is perfect and GM has no idea why its doing this. Anyone have this problem? If so, whats the cure. They are going to try standing the tires upright on the back to see if this helps.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say you had it aligned did the dealership do it? If they did do it did they charge you....My dealership said they aligned my car when my rear tires did this...come to find out all they do is set the toe...

Look around online for some camber bolts...they give a + or - 2 degrees.

My Monte has chewed through a whole set of BF Goodrich KDWS...but she is dialed in now.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Teching In

the dealership did the alignment. im supposed to take it back in the morning. thie camber bolts are what they are going to try. GM is going to supply them.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Part of why our cars handle so much better than a "regular" W-body is because of the extreme amount of negative camber that is spec'd by the factory. Unfortunately, if you want it to handle like the engineers intended it to, you will go through rear tires. Mine were shot just like yours at 24k miles.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Teching In

had the camber bolts installed this morning. GM even footed the bill. now all i have to do is rotate the tires and do a couple burn outs to clean them up and rotate them back. see what happens.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jjmac
had the camber bolts installed this morning. GM even footed the bill. now all i have to do is rotate the tires and do a couple burn outs to clean them up and rotate them back. see what happens.
How are you rotating your tires? You're not running the factory wheels and tire offset?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Teching In

yes i am but i was only going to rotate long enough to take it out in front of the house and clean the tires up. will the back rims not go on the front due to the offset? i havent tried it yet.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Teching In

I had the same thing happen on my 07 GXP. i got 17,000 miles on Goodyears and they are cupped. i went back to discount tire and the said it is because of the performance suspension. I ordered the Camber bolts. But have not put them in. The guy at Discount tire said should not put directional tires on GXP. Tires with a wide outer tread edge is better.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude we dont rotate these tires, and im on the eagle f1 a/s season, its not the alignment dude its the tires, mine is dialed in and goodyear knows about the issues with these tires, and they wont budge on them at all

just wait give it about another 4,000 miles and your going to want to cut your own ears off the noise is so bad
Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

it may be partially the tires but the biggest problem is the alignment. those cam bolts WILL fix it. all W-bodies do this to a certain extent, our cars are worse because of the design as said by sidewaysV8 but don't worry. you will be good to go now. also, yes the rears will bolt on the front but the offset is different so it will look retarted with the rears sitting way in the wheel wells and the fronts sticking out but for what you're going to do, it wont hurt anything. i've seen idiots driving around with GXP's that some stupid *** oil change shop acutally rotated them and let the people drive around like this! haha
Old 11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Yea the noise in mine is so loud. Damn it.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info. whats a good tire to run thats not noisy. wife drives the car and it has to be able to run in the snow.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i really couldnt tell ya, the noise is coming from the cupping due to the lack of a non rotational wheel, stupid stupid staggered fitment, what i dont get is the same car the impala ss and the monte ss runs the same size tires but yet the gxp has a staggered fitment

i just bought new tires bridgestone re960 a/s, so i`ll come back with a thread with how i like them, they got great reviews in my research so i guess we will see
Old 11-27-2009, 03:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Before going out of town I noticed this same damn thing on the rears of the crusader!! I was told the same reason; "for handling purposes". Now, my question, is would setting our rears from this: / \ to this" l l affect cornering and handling?!?!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i felt no difference at all
Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 PM

Default RE: 07 GXP Alignment issue

I too have an '07 GXP with a prior GY F-1 issue. At about 40,xxx miles, the OEM Potenza were needing replacement and I debated for a couple weeks on what tires to get--there are so many to chose from with the GXP set-up ya know...haha. Any I decided to go with the F-1s...had a little cupping problem. I told there was no easy fix for it, and then I thought dismounting the tires from the wheels instead of traditional rotation may work. I have yet to see if that will actually help, since I replaced my tires with about 15,xxx on them. Yes, 15,xxx miles. I hope to get near 30-35,xxx since they will not wear quite as well as non-directional. The car now has about 58,xxx miles (a little over 1,000 miles on the tires...no signs of cupping as of yet). I hope my words were helpful. My alignment was checked too--at two different places--and all was good. Good luck...it was a rough experience for me.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

stop buying%

Quick Reply: 07 GXP alignment problem