Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What options do we have for new shocks/struts ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What options do we have for new shocks/struts ?

I think its time for new struts, and Id like to toss in some eibach springs in the process.

What are my options for new struts ?

Theres the stock FE4 and FG2 that require the spacers when lowering.

Theres the Stock CTS struts which dont seem like a good idea.

KYB GR2 are availible for the Reg CTS, which should fit the CTS-V ( correct?)

Im still not sure how I feel about these, they are made for the CTS but Ive had KYB gr2s and Agx shocks before and I was very happy with both..

Any other options ?

Doesnt seem like theres many choices ..
Old 11-29-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all other options are in the 2g range...if not more
Old 11-29-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
all other options are in the 2g range...if not more
The QA1 shocks for our car can be had for under $1000. There was a link on cadillacforums somewhere with a price that came out to JUST under $900 plus shipping for all 4 corners.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

The qa1's will lower the front of the car almost a full inch and about 1/2" in the rear, which is pretty lame when qa1 knows nothing about this. They sell these and they have never even installed them on a v before. I have called and talked with qa1 a few times about this. And id stay away from the eibachs unless you like a bouncy ride. I havent tried the h and r's but they might be a better choice. The car rode much more solid before the eibachs, thats for sure. Id like to try the stock springs on the qa1's and see how the car sits and rides. Id then just cut the rear springs to match the drop in the front.

Qa1 should market thier struts and shocks as drop struts I ended up having to make spacers for the front and rear to get the car off the ground after the qa1 install LOL.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean01
The qa1's will lower the front of the car almost a full inch and about 1/2" in the rear, which is pretty lame when qa1 knows nothing about this. They sell these and they have never even installed them on a v before. I have called and talked with qa1 a few times about this. And id stay away from the eibachs unless you like a bouncy ride. I havent tried the h and r's but they might be a better choice. The car rode much more solid before the eibachs, thats for sure. Id like to try the stock springs on the qa1's and see how the car sits and rides. Id then just cut the rear springs to match the drop in the front.

Qa1 should market thier struts and shocks as drop struts I ended up having to make spacers for the front and rear to get the car off the ground after the qa1 install LOL.
yikes for $1000 and they have these issues, maybe its from the eibaches not the struts ...

The KW coilovers seem the best But im not going to pay 2 grand..
Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
yikes for $1000 and they have these issues, maybe its from the eibaches not the struts ...

The KW coilovers seem the best But im not going to pay 2 grand..
I would read too far into it. I love the way my Eibachs ride (doesn't matter they don't make the prokit anymore), and there are PLENTY of people happy with the QA1s. Sounds like this guy just had a bad experience. He also said in one post that he is running QA1s with spacers, and in one post that he is running CTS (FE3?) shocks.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SkullV
I would read too far into it. I love the way my Eibachs ride (doesn't matter they don't make the prokit anymore), and there are PLENTY of people happy with the QA1s. Sounds like this guy just had a bad experience. He also said in one post that he is running QA1s with spacers, and in one post that he is running CTS (FE3?) shocks.
Yeah, I agree with you Ted. Something isn't right there. Also, he claims that QA1 released the shocks for the CTS-V...
Originally Posted by Sean01
...and they have never even installed them on a v before.
That's a pretty outlandish claim in my humble opinion. I highly doubt that a company like QA1 that's been around for a long time, obviously knows what they're doing, and has TONS of satisfied customers, spent what probably amounts to tens of thousands of dollars on R&D for a setup for a high dollar car like the V's... and then never even bothers to install them and test them?

Sorry, I call major on that. Even if he claims that they told him that on the phone during one of his calls to talk to them, i'd still have to see that one in writing to believe it.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirebirdFlyboy
Yeah, I agree with you Ted. Something isn't right there. Also, he claims that QA1 released the shocks for the CTS-V...

That's a pretty outlandish claim in my humble opinion. I highly doubt that a company like QA1 that's been around for a long time, obviously knows what they're doing, and has TONS of satisfied customers, spent what probably amounts to tens of thousands of dollars on R&D for a setup for a high dollar car like the V's... and then never even bothers to install them and test them?

Sorry, I call major on that. Even if he claims that they told him that on the phone during one of his calls to talk to them, i'd still have to see that one in writing to believe it.
Lol, go ahead and fork over 1g for a set and you will see just what im talking about They will lower your car and its a well known issue. But since none of these guys have a set, I guess you should listen to them. Or why dont you just give them a call and see how much they know about the V.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Your right dont read too much into someone who has first hand experience with them. I have ran the stock rears, cts rears and now qa1's all the way around. Whats your point?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been in and around CTS-V's with FE4, FG2, QA1, GC kits, and almost ever other combo you could imagine (custom 9" rear and custom suspension, different cradle set ups, etc.), and everyone (but you) seems to be happy but you with the QA1s AND Eibach springs.

Like I said, you probably had a bad experience, and I have heard both ways about the QA1s, some people notice they are lower, and some do not. Not sure when you got your V (assuming 2005 by the join date on the other forum), but running FE3 shocks in the rear is a pretty old school approach to fixing the lowering problems associated with Nivomat shocks (probably also the reason for your awful ride quality with the Eibach springs).
Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

I got my qa1's less than 1 month ago. So Im sure I have the most current version. And the only way people didnt notice the ride height difference after the qa1 install is they either are running gc coilovers so they could easily adjust the height, or they are running stock springs and dont really pay too much attention to detail. But if you are running a lowering spring and install the qa1's you will notice the lowered ride height. The front end will be sitting on the ground with eibachs and qa1's. I had to run 3/4" spacers in the front to get it back up to the same height after the qa1 install. I know what Im talking about here I just went through installing the front struts over 4 times within the last week. It was a complete trial and error process to figure out how much spacer I needed in the front and rear.

I wish I would have known this before I bought my qa1's. Im just sharing my experience. Trying to help out. If I would have known what I know now I would have gone with the FG2's and been done with it.

QA1 told me over the phone that they have never had a cts-v in thier shop to install these. They designed the shocks for a cts-v performance shop, I cant remember who it was now. And that they were to be used with thier coilover setup. I planned on running GC's coilovers so this didnt bother me at the time. But since then I have read about all the unhappy GC customers complaining about squeeks, clunks and rattles. So I wont be going that route either.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned

I must be missing something, how do sturts make it sit lower ? are they the wrong size?

Cause the springs are what determine the height , no?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I must be missing something, how do sturts make it sit lower ? are they the wrong size?

Unless the fully extended length of the shock is 1" shorter and is actually pulling the car down it shouldn't cause a drop like that, especially at the firmer settings of the adjustable shock.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Unless the fully extended length of the shock is 1" shorter and is actually pulling the car down it shouldn't cause a drop like that, especially at the firmer settings of the adjustable shock.
The valve setting of the shock wont affect ride height at all. Not only overall length of the shock, but the height that they set the lower perch at affects ride height. Havent you guys see what that guy wildwill(or something close to that) did to lower a V with stock springs and struts. All he did was machine a new groove in the strut lower down which dropped the lower perch down on the strut and made the cat sit lower. The same way an adjustable coilover works. It just adjusts the level of the lower spring perch.\

And the relation between the strut perch height and ride hight at the wheel arent a 1:1 ratio since the strut bolts to the control arm further inbound than the hub mounting surface is. So any change you make at the strut is compounded at the wheel. If you drop the perch 3/4 of an inch it will give you more than that amount of total drop at the wheel.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Quite a few places make what they call a lowering strut. Its popular in imports and trucks for some reason. It just lowers the perch mount. Which is like taking length off of the spring, so you get a lower ride without affecting the ride quality
Old 12-01-2009, 04:57 AM
TECH Regular

^ this guy is correct. They really work too!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned

What If I was to run Qa1s and ran the stock springs? would I drop 1/2 a inch?

Or If I ran some sturt spacers on the stock springs? Would that trick the FG2s and drop me down alittle?

Im only looking to bring it down alittle and want to keep the ride nice.

Quick Reply: What options do we have for new shocks/struts ?