Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGW Shifter

I just installed my MGW shifter yesterday. I also got a white hurst ball to top it off. I love this shifter, very precise and tight. I am getting some vibration noise coming up through the stick though. I took everything out again, I had some carpet stuck under the #6 boot and I re-applied the silicone that seals the shifter to the tranny. I buttoned everything back up and I am still getting the noise. Don't understand why this is happening. I know for sure now that it is not noise from a bad seal of the boot or the silicone. Any opinions and input on this would be awesome.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just installed mine also, the only way i get noise on mine is if i am in any gear and push it say towards first gear firmly. Maybe the cup is bad on the tranny? Where the shifter ball goes in?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is kinda off topic i was thinking about getting a MGW shifter. Does the MGW shifter have shift stops.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I think all shifters will get a vibration at higer RPMs. The stock shifter had a big rubber damper for this reason and dampen this noise, but that made it sloppy and disconnected feeling.

Kind of the same as going to rod ends in your suspension. It works better, but you get more noise, pick one.

As for the MGW and shift stops, no it does not have them. My understanding is most of the manufactures have been recommeneding not to use them on those shifters with them. So MGW likely did not bother to put them on. I had a Ripper before and have the MGW now and I really like the MGW.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the pro 5 before on my old Camaro, The MGW makes no noise compared to that shifter. I wouldnt worry about it.