Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking in head after a mis-shift. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ticking in head after a mis-shift. Need help

Not completely sure what happened but I surely may have gone 3rd to 2nd at about 6000 rpms running hard earlier.. Car Nosedived and i immediately went on the clutch.. Car slugged for about 3 seconds then drove fine. Then I noticed a very light tapping noise in the front of the driver side head.

Oil pressure is great, oil looks great and lots of it in the car, car is not missing at all.. Drives out great. Just ticking.. Someone said I probably knocked a rocker loose? Im going to take the cover off in the morning and look at it and see if I can figure out if it needs tightening or something.. This will be my first time ever so if yall have any input, please help me out! Thanks so much!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull that valvecover off and see. Rocker or bent pushrod maybe?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -Q-
Pull that valvecover off and see. Rocker or bent pushrod maybe?
Well see, I heard that if it was a bent pushrod it would be missing a little. But the car is running flawlessly.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

Im going with push rod too, misshifts usually tend to bend them
Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Titanws6
Im going with push rod too, misshifts usually tend to bend them
DAMNIT.. lol. Ok so in the morning, if it is bent, I will see that its bent? And, is the car ok to drive around town or what? AND, what should I do about this? Buy new rocker arms im assuming.. But where, what kind? Im on a limited budget and the car is stock besides a p&p throttle body and a cutout so I dont need anything major.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn man thats messed up especially the day before the SCSO. I hope everything is good and it is nothing major. Good luck let me kno what it was.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HitmanLS1
Damn man thats messed up especially the day before the SCSO. I hope everything is good and it is nothing major. Good luck let me kno what it was.
I appreciate it Sean. Yea Ill see ya tomorrow.. Gona take the valve cover off in the a.m. Leaving out about 12 or 1 tmrw.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:53 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, you'll be able to find it by wiggling the rockers. It may be onvious when you pull the valve cover, but if not, then just start grabbing the rockers and see which one is loose. Then you'll find the bent pushrod.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by a.white86
I appreciate it Sean. Yea Ill see ya tomorrow.. Gona take the valve cover off in the a.m. Leaving out about 12 or 1 tmrw.
LOL I am not sean. My name is Roger I just see you posting on TA.net alot im hitman on there. Nice 2 meet u thou
Old 12-19-2009, 01:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -Q-
Yeah, you'll be able to find it by wiggling the rockers. It may be onvious when you pull the valve cover, but if not, then just start grabbing the rockers and see which one is loose. Then you'll find the bent pushrod.
Ok well I guess my hopes of it just being backed out and loose are gone.. So what do I buy? Do I need to buy a whole set of aftermarket? Find someone who's got a few laying around.. What?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:00 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

If it IS a bent pushrod, you can probably just buy a single at any local auto parts store. Just need to be sure you get the right size. I mean, you could buy a whole new set, and that may be the smart and safe thing to do, but if you find for sure that just one or two is bent, then just replace those. Like I said though, probably smart just to replace all of them. They aren't that expensive either.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -Q-
If it IS a bent pushrod, you can probably just buy a single at any local auto parts store. Just need to be sure you get the right size. I mean, you could buy a whole new set, and that may be the smart and safe thing to do, but if you find for sure that just one or two is bent, then just replace those. Like I said though, probably smart just to replace all of them. They aren't that expensive either.
Yea I just looked on TSP and they arent but $150 or so. Not too bad. I just have no idea what the stock lengths are on a 2000 LS1. Is my car ok to drive or what?

And someone just told me that they doubted a pushrod was bent because they thought the car was running too flawlessly. They thought just a rocker.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by a.white86
Yea I just looked on TSP and they arent but $150 or so. Not too bad. I just have no idea what the stock lengths are on a 2000 LS1. Is my car ok to drive or what?

And someone just told me that they doubted a pushrod was bent because they thought the car was running too flawlessly. They thought just a rocker.

Could be, man. Really can't make any educated guesses until you get the cover off. I bent a pushrod in my old '75 Vette, and it was ticking LOUD but still ran fine. I wouldn't drive it, though.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -Q-
Could be, man. Really can't make any educated guesses until you get the cover off. I bent a pushrod in my old '75 Vette, and it was ticking LOUD but still ran fine. I wouldn't drive it, though.
Alright well im headed to bed. Ill post up in the morning.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Update..

Went out and cranked the car. No noise. and like 70 pounds of oil pressure. (cold start). Went down the street, got it warm, and the tick came back.. VERY faint this time though. Seems quieter than last night. May be the same.. I dunno. But, I do not have the sockets deep enough to get down on the bolts to get the coilpacks off. So im screwed til tomorrow. Does any of this make sense to yall? Still drives fine of course. And I put a bunch of oil off the dipstick on a piece of paper, clean as can be out a bottle.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HitmanLS1
LOL I am not sean. My name is Roger I just see you posting on TA.net alot im hitman on there. Nice 2 meet u thou
Oh alright.. I was thinking this was Sean King.. His name on a local board is Hitman and i figured it was him. Well nice to meet ya Roger. You gona be at the SCSO?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not the pushrod but check them all for straightness.spun rod bearing.try search feature and read about it.good luck.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Hey man I did the same thing but I was on the bottle and when I took the motor apart to do a rebuild...it was bad just about all the valves had hit the top of the pistons and had a few bent push rods. The funny thing is that the next past I made at the track was the best it ever went and the car ran great all the way up till I did the rebuild. Hope that helps and good luck.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black1999z28
Hey man I did the same thing but I was on the bottle and when I took the motor apart to do a rebuild...it was bad just about all the valves had hit the top of the pistons and had a few bent push rods. The funny thing is that the next past I made at the track was the best it ever went and the car ran great all the way up till I did the rebuild. Hope that helps and good luck.
What all did you have to replace when u messed it up?
Old 12-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Teching In

I did all the valves,push roods,then I did the springs,pistons and rockers. I only did the springs, rockers and pistons because I replaced the cam when I had it apart. The valves only hit the pistons a little but to of the push roods were bent bad. I do not know how bad the springs and rockers were because I knew they were getting replaced after I saw that the valves hit the pistons. The other thing is that when I had the heads apart I could see where the valves where not seated on the heads all the way...I do not know if that was from the miss shift or from the miles on the car and all the passes on it. Let me know if you need any more info.

Quick Reply: Ticking in head after a mis-shift. Need help