Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cheapest way to 1,000 RWHP...........

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest way to 1,000 RWHP...........

But not in a way where its unreliable. Just want to budget this thing from the get-go. Would like to put my car down in the next month or so.

-4L80E (already have a new one sitting in a crate ready)
-Single turbo....what size, brand, type
-cubic inch.....whatever is best. (a new block would be built by RED, most likely resleeved LS2)
-KEEP A/C.......
-Minimal fabbing if possible...but no big deal to do some.
-100% race gas all the time. 103 octane.

I know I'll have to buy some kind of fuel management (BS3 or Electromotive)..unless a new 1999-2002 PCM will work fine.

Thanks

Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by needadvice
But not in a way where its unreliable. Just want to budget this thing from the get-go. Would like to put my car down in the next month or so....
Umm...cheap to one person isnt cheap to another, so how much you working with?...and that word should NOT be in the same sentence as 1k rwhp.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

50 grand, now take that budget and triple it. welcome to FI
Old 12-28-2009, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

$28,000
Old 12-28-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the highest horsepower car you have driven on the street to date? 1000rwhp on the street is useless and dangerous if you don't know how to drive. The cool thing about a turbo is you can turn it down for the street. Also you may as well just run E85 if you are only going to run 103. Cheap isn't possible unless 20k-30k is cheap to you.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

The Impossible Dream!!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they made a cheap way to 1k hp i'd have two already
Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
if they made a cheap way to 1k hp i'd have two already
lol,me too
Old 12-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Launching!

cheap 1000hp? reliable 1000 hp? I dont think that this would be forced induction.... Biggest cubic inch motor you can get built for nitrous. keep AC??? is this for a "Street" car or a drag car on the street? demands seem crazy, but anything can be done with money. otherwise this is impossible. "SUBARUBILL" said it right... get an estimate on how much money you will spend over how long... money X2, and time X3, and that will give you a more accurate estimate on any project, even though you do no think so, it is fact.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
keep AC???
A man after my own heart.

I don't care how irratic a car is. That is a nessecity. Or here in Texas anyway.

If it idles rough, just turn the ac off till the highway.

Is this going to be a show car, and garage queen? I can't see it being reliable for a daily. But it would be cool to have!

I see where people here almost double Ls1 hosepower. If you could double a LS7 you'ed be pretty high. But what type of block could support 1000hp and reliability be involved?

Good Luck on the project! Keep us posted.

Where there is a will there is a way. And if you buy used parts...and manufacture some of your own pieces... That is the way I role! (It cuts prices way down)

Last edited by toddcod; 12-28-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

But not in a way where its unreliable. Just want to budget this thing from the get-go. Would like to put my car down in the next month or so.

-cubic inch.....whatever is best. (a new block would be built by RED, most likely resleeved LS2)
-KEEP A/C.......

I know I'll have to buy some kind of fuel management (BS3 or Electromotive)..unless a new 1999-2002 PCM will work fine.

Thanks

KYTP kit with an S88. That's a start....lol
Old 12-28-2009, 08:04 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheapest to 1k is the quickest to blow up.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toddcod
A man after my own heart.

I don't care how irratic a car is. That is a nessecity. Or here in Texas anyway.

If it idles rough, just turn the ac off till the highway.

Is this going to be a show car, and garage queen? I can't see it being reliable for a daily. But it would be cool to have!

I see where people here almost double Ls1 hosepower. If you could double a LS7 you'ed be pretty high. But what type of block could support 1000hp and reliability be involved?

Good Luck on the project! Keep us posted.

Where there is a will there is a way. And if you buy used parts...and manufacture some of your own pieces... That is the way I role! (It cuts prices way down)
I'm not in a position to make anything myself. I know anyone can go out and give their car to a shop and let the bill go nuts, pick it up and drive away after writing a check. I will be having Steve at RED do a new resleeved LS2, just don't know what the best cubic inch to go with for what I want. [b]OR, I can buy an LSX iron from a guy that has one in a crate that is looking to sell it if that'll put the reliability issue to rest. The extra weight makes no difference to me.

I can also buy a single turbo kit from Josh if thats the best route to take, then just use a 91mm or 94mm turbo. Unless there's another route to take. I read some good things about the truck manifolds but don't know much about them or what they can handle. Thats why I'm asking about different thoughts on here.....

What I'm trying to do by asking this is....what route to take and NOT spend $40,000. I don't want to just write checks like I'm rich....I want to come up with a budget before I start anything and NOT surpass it. This talk by some people about coming up with a price then X3....those are the people who do NO research like dummies and have no clue what they're getting into.

-Do I need a BS3 or Electromotive...or will a new 99-02 PCM do the job?
-A/C is a must to keep.
-I planned to also buy a 6-bolt type head if I go with the LSX iron block, but I'm not gonna spend top dollar on a set of All-Pro heads since its FI and they don't need to flow 400 cfm @ .650.
-I also have a guy here selling a used Wilson sheet metal intake, cheap. Been sitting in his house for 3 years. And I mean CHEAP. Under $1,000. lol
-Also, I can't really go with E85 because there's not many places around here.....but there's 103 octane everywhere.
-WEEKEND WARRIOR.....only. NOT a daily driver. Not a drag racer.

Thanks toddcod......

Also, for everyone else, Miami has literally dozens of beautiful 1,000 RWHP++ cars driving around all the time, so for the people who say its nuts..or you can't use certain words in the same sentance....give it a rest, please. I know people and have DRIVEN and ridden in their 1,000 RWHP cars many times, its nothing new around here.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

-KEEP A/C.......

Thanks

Rob a bank
Old 12-28-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cheap... Reliable... 1000Rwhp... Let me know if you figure it out.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

-KEEP A/C.......

Thanks

Rob a bank.lol. On a serious note, plan it out with josh. Shouldnt cost 40K. But plan on 20. Its a nickel and dime game you are looking into. Best of luck.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, for everyone else, Miami has literally dozens of beautiful 1,000 RWHP++ cars driving around all the time, so for the people who say its nuts..or you can't use certain words in the same sentance....give it a rest, please. I know people and have DRIVEN and ridden in their 1,000 RWHP cars many times, its nothing new around here.
If I remember correctly the truck manifold setups are in the 7's for 1/4 mile times. Josh at KYTP makes awesome stuff and Shawn at VA Speed has some REALLY fast turbo cars running around. It's good you have driven something with that high of HP. A lot people seem to be daydreamers that have no idea what anything north of 500hp feels like. Like you said already, get a plan, build a budget, and stick to it. I'm sure there are going to be odds and ends, but you should know within a couple thousand what it's going to end up at. I will have around 15k-17k into my GTO for my forged ironblock 370 with ported heads, single 78-88mm turbo, TH400 setup, fuel system, and a built rearend. Shooting for 700-750rwhp through the TH400. I'm sure I will want more later, but I will need a better block and heads for that. Highest HP car I have driven was my old 600hp 68 Impala, so it will be a learning process once I start turning the boost up.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurboAv
If I remember correctly the truck manifold setups are in the 7's for 1/4 mile times. Josh at KYTP makes awesome stuff and Shawn at VA Speed has some REALLY fast turbo cars running around. It's good you have driven something with that high of HP. A lot people seem to be daydreamers that have no idea what anything north of 500hp feels like. Like you said already, get a plan, build a budget, and stick to it. I'm sure there are going to be odds and ends, but you should know within a couple thousand what it's going to end up at. I will have around 15k-17k into my GTO for my forged ironblock 370 with ported heads, single 78-88mm turbo, TH400 setup, fuel system, and a built rearend. Shooting for 700-750rwhp through the TH400. I'm sure I will want more later, but I will need a better block and heads for that. Highest HP car I have driven was my old 600hp 68 Impala, so it will be a learning process once I start turning the boost up.
Ok, so since I'll be putting a 4L80E in, should I plan on a 402ci with the LSX iron block and an 88mm to reach my goal? Or go with a 91mm. I don't want to use a turbo that will have to work at its max to reach my goal, so maybe a 91mm will be better.
Already have a 12 bolt with 3.42's, and I assume on the street it'll last a long time. No launching with drags at a track for me.

I've been wanting to do this for awhile. I have many friends with wicked rides. I'm nicely aquainted with what 700-800 RWHP is like to drive....like you said, I know I'll want more if I don't shoot for 1,000 RWHP as my goal.

I'm not broke, I have the money, but I know I don;t have to spend upwards of $30-$40 thousand for this project. Most peiople I know have TT Vipers, Supras, couple LPE TT Vettes a 900 AWHP Porsche, etc........so I have no real help from them since I'm in the LSX world.

Are the truck manifolds something I could use for my goals...or should I just stop thinking about those right now?

And how about the stock 99-02 PCM's?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can do absolutely every thing your self and get parts at cost you might be able to swing a some what reliable 1000hp for about 35k. I am talking machining your own engine, assembling, building your own turbo system, fuel system.....

My friend has done about 850rwhp for about 25k including the car, but it eats stock transmissions, and soon rear ends and axles I am sure. Oh and that is with a junk yard long block. I am sure the bill will be over 30k with the 80e going in it and the t56s it has eaten for lunch. Dave am I right?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

don't be surprised if you spend 40 thousand +

the lsx motor properly done will cost you 20.000 and you want it properly done if you want to have a some what reliable 1000whp car

and at 1000whp parts will need allot of attention, but i am sure you already know that

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to 1,000 RWHP...........