Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 question

I just bought a T56 and want to put it behind a LS1-2 motor. Someone told me the T56 is used with the LT1. I have read that the T56 was used in the firbirds and Camaros behind a LS1. How can determine if my T56 will work with my LS1 motor?
Thanks George
Old 01-02-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The T56 was used in all 4th gen V8 F-bodies, both LT1 and LS1.

However, there are two different versions of for the two different engines. They have different bellhousings and input shafts which do not interchange. If its a T56 from an LT1, it will have an opening on the driver's side of the bellhousing, where the clutch fork comes through. If its an LS1 T56, it the bellhousing will not have any large access holes in it, just two square openings on the driver's side of the trans for the slave cylinder hydraulic connection and bleeder.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is that a c3 vette you are doing a swap on? if so alot of helpful info at digitalcorvettes.com. go to the c3 section and the official c3 ls1 swap section.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the real question here,George?
Wesman seems to have only confused the real quest. ....Little real value / lots of considerable & added questions generated due to loss/ lack of detail/ knowledge... He has done this MANY times before.Sorry wesman but your post history not only is remembered but it defines you. You cannot come to a new forum & escape it. You are still just a parts-counter spooty head.
My real post:
There are many more than two versions, gear ratios, inputs, shifter possitions and even outputs.History proves that the T56 was offered in both LS1 & LT1 configurations. As I see the question, yes, you can determine which version you have , assuming its even a GM model. The LS1 version uses the concentric slave where the LT version uses an external slave release system. But, the answer to your question is that you can convert that T56 (whichever form) to use behind an LSX (any) motor. It truely depends on how much you want to spend on "converting" this unit before you decide to get the right unit ( from the factory) for your application.

Quick Reply: t56 question