Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

slight squeel at takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default slight squeel at takeoff

hey guys ive been having a problem with my clutch for the last few days. after one of my friends drove the car for a few miles all of a sudden when i got back into it i get a slight squeel when im engaging the clutch. it only does this at takeoff and a normal one at that. if you engage with no rpm increase the noise doesent happen or if you launch the car you dont get it either. the car never makes the noise or slipps once the clutch is fully engaged. the clutch has maybe 3500 miles on it. and i dont know if maybe it needs to be bled or adjusted in any way or is it something else. any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

stock or aftermarket?

my SPEC 4 started to squeal ever so slightly on cold take offs after about 1500-2000 miles.
over the next 2000 miles it got worse.

now its a full blow squeal for 2-3 sec as i'm slipping the clutch to pull forward. sometimes a short squeal shifting to 2nd gear.

as the clutch warms up it goes away...for the most part. if i REALLY have to slip it in a parking lot it will do it sometimes.

been told by SPEC and others its the nature of the Ceramic friction materials.

i had the clutch out after ~2000 miles or so and had minimal wear on the pucks or the flywheel
Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

its a monster stage 2
Old 01-06-2010, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

If that's true I'm def getting rid of this clutch. I can't believe a clutch would make that noise. To me that's a flaw in design. If that information is true of course
Old 01-06-2010, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

Carbon-Semi-Metallic based disc materials have a metallic component in their compound (hence the name). As you may know, metal-on-metal contact can cause some sound and this is most commonly heard when the ambient temps are lower. As heat increases, the noise and frequency at which it occurs will greatly reduce. All carbon-semi-metallics can have this noise and thus it isn't an unusual occurence. Driving style plays a big part in the amount of noise and how often it occurs. Those that ride the clutch pedal during clutch release will hear this more than those that do not. If you can be a little quicker when releasing the pedal the noise will be less obtrusive. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

ive realized that exact thing the quicker i get off the clutch the less you hear it. ive been able to reduce the noise with the way i drive but at slow parking lot turns its hard. so as the temp warms up it should be less noticeable? is that what your saying?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

I had the same thing with my level 3 Monster after a while. Come to find out, I had a small rear main leak that had caused some fluid contamination on the friction surface. Take it out and beat the hell out of it. Dump the clutch from higher rpms a couple of times and see if it cleans it up. If not, you might have a rear main problem also.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

when i first had it...i pulled the trans for other reasons...and there was no fluid contaminating it
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

my monster 3 squeals also...no leaks or anything but i tell you what it pulls the wheels at the track....i think ts working lol
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

Allot of times you can cure a squealing clutch with a few hard clutch dumps on a back road.
And like Hivoltagedriver said, a rear main leak will also cause squealing.

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a byproduct of having a carbon/metallic disc. My Textralia Exo-Skel has always done that. Get some sticky tires and do a couple 4,500 rpm clutch dumps and it should cleare up some. I have just gotten used to it. I also release the clutch faster when I can; I'd rather have to buy two new rear tires sooner than have to buy a $1300 clutch sooner.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Though the idea of "cleaning" the surface with aggressive driving can help a bit it can also lead to a greater potential for noise especially if you ride the clutch in the process. The majority of modern friction materials have a high melting point, but with too much heat you can begin to liquefy the material and then when it cools and re-hardens it will have a crystallization layer on the surface. This is also referred to as glazing. Having a glazed clutch disc can also lead to increase noise. Ultimately aggressiveness, without excessive riding of the clutch, should help. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,”

Quick Reply: slight squeel at takeoff