Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Removing front sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing front sway bar

I want to take off my front sway bar for better weight transfer but on the drivers side there is a bolt blocked by a metal plate and I can't see where it to unbolt it. Anyone else do this and could maybe help me out?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
When removing the sway bar. There is 4 bolts for the body bushings and the end links. Where is the plate that you are talking about? Do you have pics by chance?
Thanks
Brad
Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.ls1howto.com has info on how to access the driver side under their sway bar install.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by caseypryan
I want to take off my front sway bar for better weight transfer but on the drivers side there is a bolt blocked by a metal plate and I can't see where it to unbolt it. Anyone else do this and could maybe help me out?
I think I know what your talking about. Your not talking about the endlink, your talking about the chassis mounting point right? I believe there's a bolt that goes up the side a little bit that also holds this on. I think there might be a rubber/plastic dust sheild thing in the way too. Should be easy to handle. You gotta remove that plate to get access to the double ended bolt/nut thing.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Yes thank you. I removed the bolts mounting the plate that I could see but the plate wouldn't budge. I got frustrated and put the other 3 bolts back in. Does removing it make a significant difference in launches?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by caseypryan
Does removing it make a significant difference in launches?
In drag racing, most guys remove the front sway bar for weight saving purposes only. However, it also helps with the whole weight transfer ordeal as well by freeing up the front end.
Next time you're running at the track w/ some consistent times, try a run w/ your sway bar, and then try it w/o. See if there's any improvement. If so, hey, you got a free mod
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

hell yeah it makes a difference. I had gone to the track several times and just spun launching the car. Still on stock suspension. After taking it off with no other changes, I broke my stock 10 bolt. lol Have not gone back since and won't until I get a real rearend. Great free mod for the track.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and I'm sorry, to answer your initial question....On the drivers side, there's a total of three bolts holding that metal plate on which blocks access to the one nut/bolt combo you're referring to. Two of the bolts are located in the wheel well, you must remove your wheel to gain access to these. Both are 10mm. You'll see one of them right away, however to get to the other one, you must loosen a few bolts that hold the inner plastic fairing and kind of gently bend it out of the way just enough to get your bolt removal tool of choice in there. Once you remove those two, you can remove the nut/bolt combo that holds both the metal plate and sway bar bushing. Everything else holding the sway bar on should be self explanatory in the removal department. Don't forget about your end links on each side as well.
I can take pictures of the above process if that'll help. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Launching!

i needed this info as well. im about to install a 32mm front sway bar off a ws6 and i was wondering exactly how to remove the sway bar. i looked under the car and most of it looks pretty self-explanatory. some pictures would be great too!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually just found a write up on it, this should help you guys out quite a bit......
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=22
Old 01-09-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

I really don't understand the purpose of that extra bracket that only some cars have. I just threw it away. less weight haha.

Quick Reply: Removing front sway bar