Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Questions about the CTS-V interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the CTS-V interior

Hey guys I test drove a Base model 06 CTS today in a 6spd manual, as my friend suggested it might be a good way of convincing me to buy a V..........

Long story short, if anything it convinced me to stay in my 3 series. Its not the 80% less horsepower, lack of 14 in quad piston calipers or posi track, or the completely numb steering input that made me not like the car. It was the interior layout. So before I drive 50 miles 1 way to go test out a REAL V- I was wondering if someone could spare me the effort:

First and most importantly: whats the pedal layout like? On the base model CTS I drove, the canyon between the throttle and brake was so large; my size 12 shoe couldnt even touch both with any indication of performing a heel-toe down shift. On some other cars I have drove, there was a little stretching involved but atleast it could still be done.

Second and not importantly: Does the V have a hand brake? The base model CTS I drove had a somewhat hidden 4th pedal. Brought back memories of the '92 bonnevielle.......... not something I wan to think of while in a 'performance car'.

Deep down I am really hoping that the V is heel-toe'able (weird to say aloud), as it otherwise is the almost perfect car for my billet: 4 doors, posi track, 6spd, LSx, stripper friendly, ect.

Last question: is diff failure relevant to driving style? I would rarely launch the car, as I never drag race. My preferred method of adrenalin is canyon drives, and maybe some endurance rally's- would that decrease the likely hood of a diff failure? Did GM FIX diff failures with the '06-'07 diffs?

Thanks
-Zac
Old 01-06-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1- pedals are perfect for me not too close not too far, car handles very well for a 4k lb car.......also 14+ inch rotors up front and 13s in the back, with a good set of pads the stock brembo brakes are awesome.

2- V has the foot ebrake, not a fan myself but ive gotten over it saves room up front

3- yes, i believe wheel hop is all in how you drive, for turns the diff will give you no problems unless you like to drift around turns, launching is the worst and is damn hard to do without hopping(hard launches)
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

That was your biggest mistake. You can't drive something close to a V, expecting it to be anything else. If you are interested in driving a V, drive a V. Driving something 1/3 of the car would drive me away too.

The V's e-brake is on the floor too. It took some getting used to but don't notice it now.
And it has nothing to do with performance

I'm on my stock 05 diff with almost 600HP at the crank. Launching the car will most definitely lead to destruction. They are a weak part on the car but by having a V does not mean you will replace the diff. I'm not too sure what they did differently in 06 to improve it but I've seen 06's blow too.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
1- pedals are perfect for me not too close not too far, car handles very well for a 4k lb car.......also 14+ inch rotors up front and 13s in the back, with a good set of pads the stock brembo brakes are awesome.
14" rotors front and back 4 piston brembos front and back.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SkullV
14" rotors front and back 4 piston brembos front and back.
right, 14.4 or so front and 14s back, hard to remember all that lol
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Teching In

So I called a buddy of mine that had 2 V's, and asked him about the pedals. Told him I couldnt own a car I cant heel-toe......... "why the hell would you want to do that? Your not a race driver, nor are you on a race course!" I politly laughed and changed the subject.

Thanks guys for the replies. So- the V has closer pedals then the regular CTS? Could anyone provide a photo of the pedal assembly?

The reason my friend suggested I drive the base CTS, was because it was close, and it would give me an idea............. but I guess that isnt the case. Since it looks like I got nothing of importance tommrow Im gonna go see about test driving a real V.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Here's some with some aftermarket pedals...but should allow you to see them better as far as placement.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

the cts and cts-v are not "close" it's like saying an apple is close to an orange. Two different animals
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

I track my car and I have no problem blipping the throttle when braking.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 AM

There is not really any commonality in the steering feel, suspension, brakes, transmission, or engine of a V and a base CTS. Less than a 328 and an M3, I would say, but I don't know much 'bout no bimmers.

I think the pedals are fine for heel-toe, I've got a 11 and I don't even have to turn all that much, more like a good lean and I can catch the throttle. Might be different for you depending on how you position your foot...ymmv and all that.

As far as the parking brake...it sucks. I hate it every time I disengage. I feel like I'm driving a Suburban or something when I hear that clunk. And it sucks for hanging out on an incline, no easy way that I can figure out to use the parking brake at short notice...oh well.

And if you drive a V without a short-shift kit, you'll hate the shifter feel, it is rubbery, imprecise, and long throw, but that is easily fixed with a $2-400 B&M or UUC kit. And the CARS 2nd gear shift lockout might bug you in your test drive, but that is fixed for $13 and 5 minutes.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dmilamj
There is not really any commonality in the steering feel, suspension, brakes, transmission, or engine of a V and a base CTS. Less than a 328 and an M3, I would say, but I don't know much 'bout no bimmers.

I think the pedals are fine for heel-toe, I've got a 11 and I don't even have to turn all that much, more like a good lean and I can catch the throttle. Might be different for you depending on how you position your foot...ymmv and all that.

As far as the parking brake...it sucks. I hate it every time I disengage. I feel like I'm driving a Suburban or something when I hear that clunk. And it sucks for hanging out on an incline, no easy way that I can figure out to use the parking brake at short notice...oh well.

And if you drive a V without a short-shift kit, you'll hate the shifter feel, it is rubbery, imprecise, and long throw, but that is easily fixed with a $2-400 B&M or UUC kit. And the CARS 2nd gear shift lockout might bug you in your test drive, but that is fixed for $13 and 5 minutes.
you might do some research. YOu can do your own short throw for 2 dollars and a little weld if you can weld. Not sure where my brother found it but it's out there. I helped him do it and replace the bushings and now his cts-v shifts and feels amazing. No point in dropping 200 bucks. Maybe he will chime in here and tell you where it is.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMW558
Hey guys I test drove a Base model 06 CTS today in a 6spd manual, as my friend suggested it might be a good way of convincing me to buy a V..........

Long story short, if anything it convinced me to stay in my 3 series. Its not the 80% less horsepower, lack of 14 in quad piston calipers or posi track, or the completely numb steering input that made me not like the car. It was the interior layout. So before I drive 50 miles 1 way to go test out a REAL V- I was wondering if someone could spare me the effort:

First and most importantly: whats the pedal layout like? On the base model CTS I drove, the canyon between the throttle and brake was so large; my size 12 shoe couldnt even touch both with any indication of performing a heel-toe down shift. On some other cars I have drove, there was a little stretching involved but atleast it could still be done.

Second and not importantly: Does the V have a hand brake? The base model CTS I drove had a somewhat hidden 4th pedal. Brought back memories of the '92 bonnevielle.......... not something I wan to think of while in a 'performance car'.

Deep down I am really hoping that the V is heel-toe'able (weird to say aloud), as it otherwise is the almost perfect car for my billet: 4 doors, posi track, 6spd, LSx, stripper friendly, ect.

Last question: is diff failure relevant to driving style? I would rarely launch the car, as I never drag race. My preferred method of adrenalin is canyon drives, and maybe some endurance rally's- would that decrease the likely hood of a diff failure? Did GM FIX diff failures with the '06-'07 diffs?

Thanks
-Zac
that's also like saying I'm gonna go get a feel for the c6z by driving a c6. freaking way too different animals. same goes for driving a c6z to see what a zr1 is like. Drive a V and you won't go back to a BMW.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol...just drive the V! it will say it all
Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Domsz06
you might do some research. YOu can do your own short throw for 2 dollars and a little weld if you can weld. Not sure where my brother found it but it's out there....
Yeah I've seen that. $200 isn't much compared to a $18k car though, and it took to much time to elaborate on the home-brew short shifter.

My point still stands though: drive the V to test the V, and don't get hung up on the shifter feel, it can easily be improved.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I've seen that. $200 isn't much compared to a $18k car though, and it took to much time to elaborate on the home-brew short shifter.

My point still stands though: drive the V to test the V, and don't get hung up on the shifter feel, it can easily be improved.
Just to spread the word a bit more on the home brew shifter, and how easy it really is.

All you do is weld a piece of 1/2" schedule 40 pipe from home depot to the end of the stock shifter. Takes longer to cut the pipe and wire brush the metal than to weld it.

You're right, relatively, $200 for a shifter isn't much.... but I enjoy welding and figured i'll use the money I saved to buy stuff I can't make, like a shift light.

Don't rule the V out due to shifter feel.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

While waiting on my V, the dealer gave me a base model and I was VERY worried. The interior was cheap, rattled, my knees hit the dash (im 6'1) and everything about the car just sucked.

I was very pleased when I received the V. The gas and brake are far apart and after some getting used to it, I can heel toe now with the very edges of my shoes...sometimes my foot slips..lol.

I sometimes pop the hood when releasing the parking brake because they are right next to each other.

Other than that, the car is more than worth it. As soon as I can afford one, I'm getting the 09. I've never owned a BMW, but I'd imagine these cars are much easier and cheaper to work on seeing as the V shares most all of it's drivetrain with many other GM vehicles.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

i HATE when i pop the damn hood especially when its been 20 degrees out and you have to get out and close it. No matter how hard I try I still do it every once in a while, makes you look stupid too lol. Drive it and then come back with questions.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
I sometimes pop the hood when releasing the parking brake because they are right next to each other.

...but I'd imagine these cars are much easier and cheaper to work on seeing as the V shares most all of it's drivetrain with many other GM vehicles.
I've popped the hood a couple times too, I just hate the damn parking brake. I hate it.

And, don't be too confident about parts availability...just try to find a CTS-V power steering rack. There aren't any.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

I've popped the hood a couple times too, I just hate the damn parking brake. I hate it.

And, don't be too confident about parts availability...just try to find a CTS-V power steering rack. There aren't any.
Our local dealer said he had a V that has been waiting for a steering column for almost a year now. I bought one of 2 upper radiator hoses left in the country a few weeks ago
Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

BMW558- Have you driven a V yet?

Quick Reply: Questions about the CTS-V interior