Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why not get rid of torque arm for better 60s.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default why not get rid of torque arm for better 60s.

i have thought about this for a while for several reasons. i was thinking about installing comp engineering latter bars and getting rid of the torque arm, and control arms. the reasons will be because

1. i would like to install a 8.5" axle that i already have so i will not have to spend the money on a 12bolt. ofcoarse the 8.5" has no provision for a torque arm.

2. i will not have to spend the money for a expensive adjustable torque arm that will bolt to the frame. the complete latter bar set up will only cost $400 and includes subframe connectors.

3. i will like to be able to run my TH400 without a torque arm bolted to the rear.

4. a latterbar setup should be able to hook alot better then a torque arm and be easyier to tune.

i have done tons of thinking about this and i dont forsee any major problems with it. of coarse there will be some classes that will not alow me to run but oh well. if you look at my reasons, you will see that most of them are because to save money which is what i am all about. let me know yalls thoughts on this.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Never thought about it but sounds like a good Idea. I cant compete without a cage so I have to bracket race at shootouts and this would work great . To bad I already spent the money on a moser 12 bolt.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To many people, allowing ladder bars is a slippery slope down to full tube chassis race cars. Therefore you'd only be able to compete in the brackets and index classes at LS1Tech events.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by taqwache
i have thought about this for a while for several reasons. i was thinking about installing comp engineering latter bars and getting rid of the torque arm, and control arms. the reasons will be because

1. i would like to install a 8.5" axle that i already have so i will not have to spend the money on a 12bolt. ofcoarse the 8.5" has no provision for a torque arm.

2. i will not have to spend the money for a expensive adjustable torque arm that will bolt to the frame. the complete latter bar set up will only cost $400 and includes subframe connectors.

3. i will like to be able to run my TH400 without a torque arm bolted to the rear.

4. a latterbar setup should be able to hook alot better then a torque arm and be easyier to tune.

i have done tons of thinking about this and i dont forsee any major problems with it. of coarse there will be some classes that will not alow me to run but oh well. if you look at my reasons, you will see that most of them are because to save money which is what i am all about. let me know yalls thoughts on this.
the reason ladder bars are not the cheapest way out is ,to install a set properly besides the cost of the a good set of bars with moly frt hiems,,diaganal link, ,frt cross member, is they have to be welded in plus on F body cars the floor pans have to be modified to get them in car properly[otherwise they would be way to low in frt or car would be way to high in,both senarios negating even puting bars in at all] plus frt crossmember or frt locating points of ladder bars should be tied into rollbar/or cage[you didnt say if you had on of those either , the other way to go is have a custom set of small ladder bars made to go in stock mounting location ,we have made a few sets of those they work fairly well, whats the 8.5 out of its probably narrower than the rear in car now so than youll also need wheels,and if you still have to get gears,spool-posi,alxes,for the 8.5 the parts cost the same so alls your really doing is putting in a smaller housing,??[you didnt say if 8.5 allready set up] plus cars with the torque arms that are not mounted on tranz ,still 60 ft just as good if not better than ladder bars and dont have to alter their cars and can run in more classes,
Old 12-19-2003, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

do it to it
sounds like a plan to me
Old 12-19-2003, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the 8.5 that i have is out of a 78 firebird that i welded to fit in my 69 camaro. i what to use it because i allready spent to money to set it up and has been very reliable behind a 10.02 second car. as for the installation, i have done them before on my 90 camaro and other cars for freinds so i have the knowledge to do it myself. that way i will not have to pay anything for installation. i under stand that torque arm cars can really hook good since i have seen many pull the wheels but so do latter bar cars. really, the main reason for me wanting to do it is the personal savings since i already have a strong axle. also i can buy everything for less then the best torque arm.

any other thoughs on this subject?
Old 12-19-2003, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Default torque arm

Originally Posted by taqwache
Well the 8.5 that i have is out of a 78 firebird that i welded to fit in my 69 camaro. i what to use it because i allready spent to money to set it up and has been very reliable behind a 10.02 second car. as for the installation, i have done them before on my 90 camaro and other cars for freinds so i have the knowledge to do it myself. that way i will not have to pay anything for installation. i under stand that torque arm cars can really hook good since i have seen many pull the wheels but so do latter bar cars. really, the main reason for me wanting to do it is the personal savings since i already have a strong axle. also i can buy everything for less then the best torque arm.

any other thoughs on this subject?
seeing as how you have a good rear and you can do the work,and dont mind cutting car go for it, but use a good set of bars and chrome moly heims in frt and like i said tie it to your rollbar,and it,ll work great, but you should use a diagnal link with the bars as the panhard bar in car allows rear to move left to right thru suspension travel, and diag. link stays true