UTI Collision Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UTI Collision Repair

UTI is building a new campus in Dallas and I have looked at my options and talked to a few people about different schools and so far it seems to be the best school that will be in my area. I will be doing the collision repair program. I figured since a lot of you on here are from Houston that you may have attended UTI. I was wondering what everyones opinions and personal experiences are with UTI.

Thanks

Ethan
Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As a UTI graduate in the Collision Repair...I can tell you that some of the classes(phazes) are helpful, alot of them are kinda a waste of time..well for me the first 3 phazes were a waste of my time only cause it was more like a "refreasher" classes....it also depends on what instructors you get....is it a bad school? no, is it a great school? nope...It was close is why I choose it..am I using my over priced piece of paper I got from them? Nope...I personally had a blast cause you do get to meet some "interesting" characters there...
Old 01-10-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
As a UTI graduate in the Collision Repair...I can tell you that some of the classes(phazes) are helpful, alot of them are kinda a waste of time..well for me the first 3 phazes were a waste of my time only cause it was more like a "refreasher" classes....it also depends on what instructors you get....is it a bad school? no, is it a great school? nope...It was close is why I choose it..am I using my over priced piece of paper I got from them? Nope...I personally had a blast cause you do get to meet some "interesting" characters there...
How much did you pay? My uncle is a body shop manager at a dealership and he said that either TSTC or UTI would be great programs to go to. I dont really want to go to TSTC in Waco and since UTI is opening a campus in Dallas it would work out perfectly. Did you graduate with the ASE certification and the I-CAR credentials as said on their website?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irbs
How much did you pay? My uncle is a body shop manager at a dealership and he said that either TSTC or UTI would be great programs to go to. I dont really want to go to TSTC in Waco and since UTI is opening a campus in Dallas it would work out perfectly. Did you graduate with the ASE certification and the I-CAR credentials as said on their website?
my Tuition was a lil over 34k...and yeah I came out with the I-CAR and ASE certificates but you have to pay out of pocket for those separate(which pissed me off) don't fall into that "free starter tools" when you graduate B/S either...neither I or my buddy that graduated got any of the cool **** they mentioned or pictured...(I got like 3 tools, 2 paint guns and something else I lost)
Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

my Tuition was a lil over 34k...and yeah I came out with the I-CAR and ASE certificates but you have to pay out of pocket for those separate(which pissed me off) don't fall into that "free starter tools" when you graduate B/S either...neither I or my buddy that graduated got any of the cool **** they mentioned or pictured...(I got like 3 tools, 2 paint guns and something else I lost)
Wow i never thought it would be 34k. Well i guess thats what my parents are for. Do you not work as an auto body tech?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow i never thought it would be 34k. Well i guess thats what my parents are for. Do you not work as an auto body tech?
Yeah, that's another thing they don't tell you till it's too late...and No, I don't work as an Auto Body tech cause the trade here isn't that demanding, friend of mine that graduated does it and doesn't make ****...I think an Assistant Manager at Micky D's makes more than he does..
Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, that's another thing they don't tell you till it's too late...and No, I don't work as an Auto Body tech cause the trade here isn't that demanding, friend of mine that graduated does it and doesn't make ****...I think an Assistant Manager at Micky D's makes more than he does..
Well I am hoping to get a job at a dealership. My uncle has some connections that can help me when the time comes. How does the tuition break down from 34k? That's alot but the certifications are a plus compared to many other programs.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I am hoping to get a job at a dealership. My uncle has some connections that can help me when the time comes. How does the tuition break down from 34k? That's alot but the certifications are a plus compared to many other programs.
I don't remember exactly, I went back in 05 so it's been awhile...but I do remember everyone's tuition is different, my buddys was 32k and a guy I was in class with his was only like 27k....don't know how that works either..
Old 01-10-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

I don't remember exactly, I went back in 05 so it's been awhile...but I do remember everyone's tuition is different, my buddys was 32k and a guy I was in class with his was only like 27k....don't know how that works either..
Thanks for the information!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to UTI but not for Collison. i paid 35k for AUTO/DIESEL. I had the same kind of experiences the other guy did, half of the courses are worthless to anyone that knows how to put brakes on. The other half most people will probably learn alot. Honestly kind of sucked for me considering i already knew alot and had already torn down and replaced motors and done some electrical things. Also greatwhite talking about meeting some interesting characters is so true. You meet some WIERD *** kids. i cant even explain some people i met there haha. and the ricer scene is just plain funny. The only big thing that i didnt like about UTI is they said that they really help you to try and find a job. well honestly they didnt really help me at all. All they do is give you a list of people and you have to do everything else. so honestly its like Monster inside of the UTI office. I graduated with a 3.9GPA and i searched for 6 months for a dealership job and found absolutely nothing. I ended up getting a job for Bridgestone/Firestone and worked there for 3 years. I made decent money for being at Firestone but only because i busted *** and flagged nothing less than 90 hours a week. After that 3 years i started applying at places again and now currently work for Park Place Lexus and love it. they are an amazing company to work for. So even though i was on the mechanic side i could think that it would be the same way in the collision side.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot about the "Job Search Assistance" they provide...that **** sucks...
Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2fast97Z
I went to UTI but not for Collison. i paid 35k for AUTO/DIESEL. I had the same kind of experiences the other guy did, half of the courses are worthless to anyone that knows how to put brakes on. The other half most people will probably learn alot. Honestly kind of sucked for me considering i already knew alot and had already torn down and replaced motors and done some electrical things. Also greatwhite talking about meeting some interesting characters is so true. You meet some WIERD *** kids. i cant even explain some people i met there haha. and the ricer scene is just plain funny. The only big thing that i didnt like about UTI is they said that they really help you to try and find a job. well honestly they didnt really help me at all. All they do is give you a list of people and you have to do everything else. so honestly its like Monster inside of the UTI office. I graduated with a 3.9GPA and i searched for 6 months for a dealership job and found absolutely nothing. I ended up getting a job for Bridgestone/Firestone and worked there for 3 years. I made decent money for being at Firestone but only because i busted *** and flagged nothing less than 90 hours a week. After that 3 years i started applying at places again and now currently work for Park Place Lexus and love it. they are an amazing company to work for. So even though i was on the mechanic side i could think that it would be the same way in the collision side.
i took the same classes auto diesel ind.in 05-06 35k tuition and i had 99% the same exsperience you did i graduated with 3.98 99% attendance 99% professionalism and i work on elevators for a living!!lololol. FWIW most of the people i know that went there dont work in the automotive industry and the couple that do work in the industry are doing BS jobs like one of my friends had good grades and all the certifications for the collision program and he makes 9.50 an hour detailing cars at a dealership. when i applied at a dealership after i graduated they were trying to make me a porter or lube tech (oil changer) so i joined the elevator union and havent looked back fwiw i make alot more workin on elevators than cars. a good Community college program would prolly be just as good and alot cheaper. although i did have some awesome times while i was at UTI, it was fun beating down all the ricers in the firehawk. and i did meet a couple of good friends that i still hang out with, just too exspensive for what it is.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Forgot about the "Job Search Assistance" they provide...that **** sucks...
What "Job Search Assistance" ... oohhhh you mean that shitty list they hand you and tell you good luck.....lololol
Old 01-11-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
What "Job Search Assistance" ... oohhhh you mean that shitty list they hand you and tell you good luck.....lololol
that's the one.. haha...I remember like my 3rd week there, there was a spoiled rich kid in the Horespower & performance classes that got a brand new WRX STi for his birthday and wanted to put it on the dyno...now keep in mind, back when I was there they didn't have an AWD dyno, this guy thought it would be wise to put his brand new STi on it backwards to see what the base numbers were....yeah that wasn't pretty when asked what he was thinking his responce "I Didn't know it was AWD"...
Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Launching!

damn my buddy that went there has a white STI with carbon fiber hood and trunk i didn't even know they had an AWD dyno all i know is that when i was in hot rod they had a supra, ls1z28 and a GTO with a sts turbo i watched the teacher keep tightenting the wastegate spring on the GTO and on like the fifth pass doing that the car shot the dipstick out of the motor and hit the roof followed by tons of smoke from the exhaust, the camaro had all kinds of **** and a pro charger and that thing could barely put down 400rwhp, they blew the turbo seals out of the supra by freezing the intercoller with like 3 nitrous bottles while it was on the dyno. all in all they're hot rod program is a joke you would think as much as the school costs they would atleast have some descent cars to learn on.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They were building that Z28 when I was there...must have built that car about 4 times that year, it was together when I 1st got there and it made a whopping 344ishRWHP with a built motor heads and Cam...I had seen the Supra a few times, but it was doing the same thing everytime I say it....Sitting in the bay with a cover over the nose.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Default Uti

I went to UTI as well ....all I can say you get out of it, what you put into it....I took auto,diesel, and industrial....I have had two jobs since I graduate and UTI helped me with assistance with both.....I currently make decent money, i say decent because I could always make more..lol
I have friends who attended with me that make good money and some who barely make anything.....I also have friends who went to college for 4 to 5 years and I currently make more that them....so like i said at the top you get out of it what you put into it...
Old 01-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Teching In

I went to UTI and graduated in 2002 from the collision repair program and i have to agree with LS1 KINGS you get out what you put in same goes for after you graduate. I was a helper after i graduated for 4 years in a production shop and now i am a painter at another shop it takes alot of hard work and dedication but you can make a decent living if you can turn the work fast and flag those hours. It was alittle over 20k for school in 2002 i don't regret going so if you want to go and are able go for it...
Old 01-12-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Well I am very dedicated to doing well. I haven't done well in high school but I have a passion for working on cars. I have wanted to do this since the 5th grade. I have so far figured out UTI will help the people who have the drive to go on and work at the bottom and work their way up. I am fine withthat because everyone has to start some where. Seems like most of the people who bash UTI didn't really enjoy it so they feel it's a waste.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly, you would probably get the same education if you could get your uncle to get you in as a bodyman's helper or something similar, and let you attend some I-CAR classes. ASE really doesn't have the same pull in the collision industry that it has in a mechanical shop (I am a recertified Master Body/Refinish tech, but it was mostly for my own satisfaction). I have never been to UTI, or know much about it. I started at the bottom and worked my way up; it's worked out well for me.

Quick Reply: UTI Collision Repair