Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

TransAmPuter

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TransAmPuter

I am considering diving into a carputer project due to frustration with the stock HU's functional limitations (and a need to play with technology outside of the office).

While I looked at the forums at mp3car, I thought it might be helpful to focus my questions in this forum because I know PC hardware/software at an expert level, but I am still a rookie when it comes to mods on an F-body.

Goals of the project are:
  1. Near zero cost. I have a decent laptop handy so PC hardware is not an issue.
  2. Extensibility. Ability to expand the system in phases, e.g. GPS/Nav is not a requirement for launch. Same for linkage to the remote power lock system for resuming from a suspended state.
  3. Minimal loss of existing functionality. Meaning, keep at least FM capability, and MUST keep steering wheel controls.

At the high level, this is the component diagram I have started laying out.

Open issues I am still working through include:
  • Can I relocate the HU to the trunk? Is there a better location?
  • How easy is it to run wiring down from the dash to the trunk area (need at least USB, VGA) and is there a preferred route?
  • PC to AUX IN - is that simply the PAC-PXDX? Are other cables/harnesses needed?

I would welcome thoughts, feedback or recommendations from folks on the forum. Specifically, if there are items unique to our vehicles of the Monsoon system.