Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pulley Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pulley Help Needed

ok so I got a flow reducer for my power steering pump (it's a 99 Vette LS1 being swapped into a 240sx)

Because of where the reducer is located I had to remove the pulley off of the pump to install it.

To do this I rented a pulley remover/installer tool kit from autozone.

The removal tool worked great, I swapped in my reducer without any problems but now I can't get the pulley back on.

----
The shaft has a threaded center, the installation tool threads into this, that's how it "pulls" the pulley back on.

This is how the tool should work:

there is a bolt that threads into the center-bore on the shaft, and then a large nut that you turn down to "push" the pulley on to the shaft.

It would seem that someone had used a tool on this before and broke it off inside the pump shaft centerbore

the threading doesn't start until 1/4in or so in and that's right were the old tool is broken off.

obviously there are 2 big problems
1. the broken bit is made of tool steel so it's hard as hell
2. even if I could drill a hole in it to get an ez-out started, it's in the shaft so I have no way to keep the shaft from spinning in order to thread one in

the only two options I can think of is
1. I could try to gently hammer the pulley back on
or
2. I could just cut my losses and get a new pump

anyone have any other ideas?

anyone know how safe it would be to hammer the pulley on (I'm mostly concerned with trashing the bearings)
Old 02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Vice grips??
Old 02-06-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll need a piece of grade 8 3/8"-16 rod about 6" long, 2 or 3 nuts, and a couple washers. Either double-nut 2 nuts (tight! or weld one nut) on one end of the rod, run a nut all the way to that end, put a couple washers on (moly grease between them), and thread the open end of the rod as far into the shaft as it'll go. Take up the slack on the free nut, hold the outer nut(s) with one wrench and pull the pulley in place with the free nut. Put some lube on the pump shaft or it will gall.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Teching In

I was half way though a response as to why I wouldn't be able to do what you suggested when XtremeDime's suggestion gave me an idea.

the threading on the shaft doesn't go all the way to the tip, it's got a larger counter bore toward the tip. the broken tool also didn't stick out at all it was broken off in the middle of this larger unthreaded area. This meant that I can't thread anything in, nor is anything sticking out that I can grab on to.... However using some very slender needle nose pliers there was enough room to grab the broken tool, then using some vicegrips clamped onto the needle nose to give it some grip I was able to break it free and work it out...

crisis averted

thanks for the suggestions guys

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pulley Help Needed