Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Disable Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable Clutch

so when ever i go to start my car i have to have the clutch pushed down ridiculously hard otherwise it wont start so i was wondering if i could just disable the clutch for starting, i have heard that is what they do for when you have a remote starter on a manual. so if anyone has had this problem or done it lets hear some suggestions
thanks,
Nick
Old 02-13-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure what you are asking but The only way I know to disable a clutch is to remove it.
Now there is a switch on the clutch pedal its the one closer to the firewall,(the one closer to the driver is for the cruise control) its a pusbutton type switch when it is depressed the car will start because it thinks the clutch is in. If you taped that switch closed or jumpered across it, then when your car is in nuetral it will start just by turning the key no need to push the pedal in. However if you have the car in gear and hit the key, it will lunge forward unless the brake is on. If the brake is on and you lunge it you will just wear the clutch out, or starter. But if in nuetral the car will start right up.
Hope this helps
Old 02-13-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it wont start or try to turn over, it probably the switch under the clutch pedal is either broke, disconnected or needs adjustment. It tells the car that the clutch is pushed in to allow the starter to start the car, or else it would start in gear and start moving
Old 02-13-2010, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
If it wont start or try to turn over, it probably the switch under the clutch pedal is either broke, disconnected or needs adjustment. It tells the car that the clutch is pushed in to allow the starter to start the car, or else it would start in gear and start moving

Ill have to check that out when i get it out of storage that sounds like what it could be.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

What master cylinder do you have in it?

Some of the aftermarket adjustable ones when adjusted too far out (longer rod)
limit the pedal from going all the way to the floor since they bottom out in the bore, causing you to barely touch the neutral safety switch. A simple adjustment of the switch might be all you need.