Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

totally new to tuning, diablo predator

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default totally new to tuning, diablo predator

okay guys, i just got my 99 camaro ss m6, and i'm completely new to tuning. I picked up a diablo predator for next to nothing, so i want to see what i can do with it. The mods on my car are slp MAFS, smooth bellow, slp LM 2 catback, slp lid, and of course the diablo programmer. Is there anything I can do besides just using the "diablo performance tune" ? Sorry to crowd up the forum with more "new to tuning" questions, but I figured there had to be some sort of advantage over the diablo performance tune, due to the slp mafs.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

You can clear DTCs....

If you can have it upgraded to do data logging (about $100). That would be very useful. For now you can watch your fuel trims and adjust that with the Predator to dial in a good AFR @ less than WOT. You can tweak the power enrichment and see if there is any improvement. You need something to watch for knock retard though - the upgrade would do that for you. Data logging is your best friend.

The Predator has advantages but keep in mind it isn't going to give you the ability to monitor like a wideband kit but you haven't invested much money - yet. If the bug bites then you'll go another direction. Have some fun with the Predator, it's one of the better hand held tuners. Just be sure to keep your eyes on the road.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

actually, for N/A vehicles, the AFR parameter is pretty damn close at WOT... I've had people to comparisons with a wideband on a dyno, and it's only been off by about .1 lower than what the wideband was reading, so it's still on the safe side... and also had a vette guy and a gto guy tell me that their predator afr at wot was the same as what their widebands were reading...

anyway... yeah, install the tune you want to use (diablo tune is for 93 octane gas, and then there's the 91 octane tune), put on about 75-100 miles... then do a steady drive/cruise on the highway to see what your LTFT's are reading...

then, you want to adjust your injector slope to get your average ltft's in the 0 to -2 range... getting your fueling adjusted correctly will give you quicker throttle response, better acceleration, stronger/harder pull, AND better mileage...

here's info on how to do that:

http://diablosport.com/index.php?nam...iewtopic&t=917

as for "what else can I do", there are a whole slew of things you can adjust with that 7198 predator, such as:

#
Timing Table 1000-1800rpm (+/- 20%)
#
Timing Table 2000-4000rpm (+/- 20%)
#
Timing Table 4000-7000rpm (+/- 20%)
#
Fuel Table 2000-4000rpm (+/- 20%)
#
Fuel Table 4000-7000rpm (+/- 20%)
#
Idle (+ 500rpm / -300rpm)
#
Speed Limiters (adjustable for Trucks Only - limiter already raised/removed in car tunes)
#
Rev Limiters
#
RPM Shift Points
#
MPH Up and Downshifts
#
Shift Timing
#
Shift Pressure
#
Cooling Fan ON and OFF temperatures
#
Re-Calibrate Speedometer for Gear and Tire Size Changes
#
Torque Management abuse mode time limit ON/OFF
#
% torque reduction vs. RPM ON/OFF
#
Upshift torque reduction (all gears) ON/OFF
#
Adjust for different injector size
#
Adjust COT enable temperature

-Lew

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-18-2010, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

wow, i've got a ton to learn. time to start in on the research to first decode the acronyms, then decipher what the tuning vocab means. i'll post up when i start to learn a little more and actually to get where i feel confident in changing parameters on my car, without risk of blowing it up
Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

IMHO you are exactly on the right approach. I've owned several hand held tuners, a digital wideband kit and two hardware / software scan & tune products. So, I've invested some good money but I can only do the minimum safely when it comes to tuning. If I weren't so much into owning the toys and wanting to understand how things work I would have saved a chunk of change by going to a reputable pro speed shop with experienced tuners and a dyno.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

feel free to hit me up anytime...

I've owned the diablo stuff for years, and I am also a diablo CMR custom tuner, so I know these things inside out and can help ya out with any questions you may have as you get into it...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 02-20-2010, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

great! i started another thread concerning my first issue. I remember i had a guy monitor/change some parameters in my pcm in my older 1998 camaro ss. He deleted the rear o2 sensors out, and was able to show me my front o2 sensors were only half functioning. I think i am in the same problem with my newer 1999 ss camaro. 06monte66, you'll definitely be hearing from me after i think i have some of the very VERY basics covered
Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

sounds good man! you know where/how to find me...

Old 02-26-2010, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Default LS 1 Conversion Tuning Questions

To 06MonteSS:

I have installed a stock LS1 with a Howell modifed ECU and harness in my 72 Chevelle along with headers and a K&N filter. I would like to fine tune the program to the car e.g. tire diameter, shift points, etc. but not the tune. Howell said that their tuning is about as aggressive as you can get with a stock motor and was fine with the minor mods. The car runs great as it is currently set up other than the rear end ratio is different (2:73 vs. the ECU setting of 3:23) and the 2nd gear upshift under part throttle is too early. Fans and all other parameters seem to be fine.

So, are any of these handhelds-Diablo, Hypertech, or whoever- particularly good at this? And is there any issue with the fact that I don't have the vin from the original car the motor came from?

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by clm69z28; 02-26-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: bad english!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the diablo would let you adjust those items, using the "factory hp tune" option... on the predator, when you install a tune, it first makes a backup copy of the "original backup" stock tune that's on then pcm...

so when you select Factory HP Tune to make adjustments, that is a copy of that stock tune that was on you pcm.. so you can make your adjustments to only specific items and then install the tune to the pcm, and it won't change anything else except for what you made your adjustments to...

HOWEVER, it all depends on what Howell used to create the custom tune on that pcm... if they used hp-tuners with the custom operating system, then you are SOL because it's not GM's operating system... nothing will read that tune except for hp-tuners software now...

if they did the whole tune already for ya before, I would hit them up and have them adjust those things you need changed...

Old 02-27-2010, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

I am glad that I asked the question because I was not sure how the Howell set up might be differerent. They will make the changes for me; I just have to pull the ECM and send it to them which I was hoping to avoid since the ECM is under the drivers side fender. The handhelds would have made it much easier. Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: totally new to tuning, diablo predator