Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

foglight or ASR style push button start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foglight or ASR style push button start?

A few years ago I did a push button start where my cigarette lighter went. I seen a video on YouTube or on here of someone who had their start button in one of the extra switch spots in place of the "Camaro" plate on the dash beside the foglight switch. I thought it looked really slick and easier to reach than mine. I ordered two of the buttons off ebay (eventually want to use the other for exhaust cutout), I'm wondering if anyone knows how I need to wire start button to the switch?
Old 02-27-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

bump for a good ?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its a pretty cool idea, i have the S2000 push start where my cig lighter used to be, i freakin love it.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, well first off, which did you order? In the title it says fog OR asr. There is a difference. The ASR is a momentary, where as the fog isn't. The fog won't work for either a electric cutout or a starter. Second, the ASR won't work for a electric cutout either. Its just a momentary switch. You need a 2 way momentary like a convertible top switch.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Can I get some info on that S2000 push button starter??????
Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

the s2000 push button is the same set up mustang guys are using in the newer body style stangs, I wired mine to my starter relay works nice.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i bought my kit off ebay i believe. came with everything. was a little expensive, but i love it. If you do some searches on here, there are a lot of write ups.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by squee
Ok, well first off, which did you order? In the title it says fog OR asr. There is a difference. The ASR is a momentary, where as the fog isn't. The fog won't work for either a electric cutout or a starter. Second, the ASR won't work for a electric cutout either. Its just a momentary switch. You need a 2 way momentary like a convertible top switch.
I ordered the foglight switches. It will work you just have to flip it back like my current switch. I've seen a video of a foglight switch opening an electric cutout so I'm assuming that is possible as well.

I had an s2000 button at first but it burnt up. I was told it is not meant for 12V it is made for a computerized circut.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
I ordered the foglight switches. It will work you just have to flip it back like my current switch. I've seen a video of a foglight switch opening an electric cutout so I'm assuming that is possible as well.

I had an s2000 button at first but it burnt up. I was told it is not meant for 12V it is made for a computerized circut.
First off, yes, you can infact use the fog like that, its just not ideal. I have a toggle setup like that in my '69 C10, and to be honest, I HATE it. I would never go with one again. Also, as far as I'm aware, all electric cutouts have 2 position self centering momentary switch. If you use a fog light switch, you would have to wire it up so on would open it (or close it) and off would be the opposite, but that will make it try and open all the time or close all the time, which will burn it out very quickly. Like I said...I said, a convertible top switch is the only one that will work properly.

Second, I'm sure the reason your switch burnt is cause you didn't use a relay like your supposed to. Also, I had one burn up as well (wires got mixed up) and they are VERY easy to fix.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

First off, yes, you can infact use the fog like that, its just not ideal. I have a toggle setup like that in my '69 C10, and to be honest, I HATE it. I would never go with one again. Also, as far as I'm aware, all electric cutouts have 2 position self centering momentary switch. If you use a fog light switch, you would have to wire it up so on would open it (or close it) and off would be the opposite, but that will make it try and open all the time or close all the time, which will burn it out very quickly. Like I said...I said, a convertible top switch is the only one that will work properly.

Second, I'm sure the reason your switch burnt is cause you didn't use a relay like your supposed to. Also, I had one burn up as well (wires got mixed up) and they are VERY easy to fix.
I used the relay, I believe the wires were correct as well. It worked twice, then stopped. I opened it up and the tape on the board was split. I just threw in a toggle I had laying around in the garage and been stuck with it ever since. I'm just wanting something more stock looking now. Im assuming since there are 5 prongs on the back there are multiple ways to wire it up.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, there aren't multiple ways to wire it up (and it work atleast...). Its really easy to fix. All you have to do is scratch the coating off the trace where it burnt (will be light green) and expose the copper. and just connect it with a small piece of wire or solder. its just a simple single side PCB board. SUPER easy to fix.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

No, there aren't multiple ways to wire it up (and it work atleast...). Its really easy to fix. All you have to do is scratch the coating off the trace where it burnt (will be light green) and expose the copper. and just connect it with a small piece of wire or solder. its just a simple single side PCB board. SUPER easy to fix.
Thats ghetto, and if I wanted one Id buy a new one, but thanks for not helping, NEXT.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Are you guys still using your keys then for the accessory and run modes that the key cylinder provides?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by connexion2005
Are you guys still using your keys then for the accessory and run modes that the key cylinder provides?
Yes, its just a 'starter' button, not really a 'start' button.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
Thats ghetto, and if I wanted one Id buy a new one, but thanks for not helping, NEXT.
You're using an on/off toggle switch instead of a momentary switch for starter and another single throw toggle switch for controlling a cutout (both despite advice to the contrary) and yet you're calling a repair to a printed circuit board ghetto? You need to re-evaluate your own installations.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You're using an on/off toggle switch instead of a momentary switch for starter and another single throw toggle switch for controlling a cutout (both despite advice to the contrary) and yet you're calling a repair to a printed circuit board ghetto? You need to re-evaluate your own installations.
THANK YOU!
I guess what he doesn't realize is I've repaired QUITE a few PCBs and thats the ONLY way shy of making a new one...
Old 03-04-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Thousands of people have toggle switches. Far more than the number of people with jimmy-rigged s2000 buttons. I didnt start a thread to agrue, everyones imput is appreciated. Lets not act like children.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yes, lots of people use toggle switches... for ON/OFF functions. They are not appropriate for momentary use nor for two-way functions (open-off-closed). You wouldn't use a toggle switch for your horns so why use them for a starter button? And, as mentioned before, there is no way to wire a single-throw toggle switch to properly control an exhaust cutout.

My point is, if you ask for information then why dismiss the answers you get?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, lots of people use toggle switches... for ON/OFF functions. They are not appropriate for momentary use nor for two-way functions (open-off-closed). You wouldn't use a toggle switch for your horns so why use them for a starter button? And, as mentioned before, there is no way to wire a single-throw toggle switch to properly control an exhaust cutout.

My point is, if you ask for information then why dismiss the answers you get?

I did not dismiss any answer. I am not seeking a momentary switch, I was asking how to wire the foglight button as a toggle. As I mentioned I started with the Honda button and it broke so I got stuck with an ugly old toggle I had in the garage. I wanted a more stock looking switch. I do not have a cut-out and have not looked any further in that direction besides seeing a video of someone who had one. Half my logic for ordering the second button was to not have an empty hole in the dash. I now see that it most likely is not a good idea for a cutout, so thanks for the help. I do not understand why everyone is so standoff-ish.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Standoffish? Have you read your post (#12 to be exact)? You act like a complete ***. I have a pretty good knowledge of electronics and I've told you over and over that the switches you have WON'T do what you want PROPERLY. But what do I know...And its NOT "jimmy-rigging" to fix the S2000 PCB like I said. Its the only way, and a pretty common way of fixing PCBs. But again, what do I know? I've never made a PCB, fixed one, nor even seen one.

Quick Reply: foglight or ASR style push button start?