Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Questions about rear speakers in a '99 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about rear speakers in a '99 Camaro

Ok, I've got a '99 Camaro, with the stock Monsoon? sound system in it.
(btw, I'm the 2nd owner)

But, I was playing around with the fade/balance controls, and noticed
something weird. I have what looks like to me to be something like 6x9 factory speaker grilles in the interior panels on the sides of the back seat, but no sound at all comes from them!

All I hear are the front door speakers and the ones under the hatch in the cargo area. I haven't yanked the panels off yet, thinking someone here will tell me that there's actually no speakers behind them, that they're just ports or something like that, but that's seeming less likely to me now.

Could the situation be:

A) The two speakers be so blown they don't work at all.
B) They're are actually no speakers there, and aren't supposed to be.
C) Some strange wiring problem killed them both off at the same time, but didn't affect the two fronts or the very rear speakers?

I be like puzzled ...

Any help for my clueless *** is appreciated!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there definitely should be speakers there. That's where the Monsoon "subs" are located. I'm in no way an expert on these Monsoon systems, but from what I understand, the front speakers are full range, the ones in the rear seat area are the "subs" or midbass speakers, and the hatch speakers are just rear fill(mostly highs and mids). If they aren't working at all, my first guess would be a problem with the amp or wiring, ground, etc. Good Luck - let us know what you find out.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

I have the same exact problem! There is nothing at all coming from the subs! I have'nt check behind the unit yet, perhaps this weekend. Has anyone out there had this same problem? What was it???

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

I had exact same problem...when i changed head units they started working again...strange speakers if you ask me.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

The speakers on the sail panels (above the rear seats) are 6.5" subwoofers, which cannot be driven by any aftermarket head unit. The 6"x9" speaker grills in the cargo area conceal 4" speakers. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your stereo system. You'll thank me for it. Oh, and remember to get Dynamat. Our body panels rattle too much without it.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok the stock speakers suck...we all know this. just go out and buy urself a component set and some aftermarket subs and amp..and lets say an alpine head unit...it'll treat u a lot better..lol but yea mine werent workin either and most of mine were blown anyhow. lol

Quick Reply: Questions about rear speakers in a '99 Camaro