Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up an ls motor have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up an ls motor have a couple questions

Hey I have been trying to gather some information on swapping in a 5.3 truck motor into my 84 cutlass. I picked up a motor and began to disassemble the exterior of it (motor mounts, intake, brackets, manifolds, etc.) for cleaning and inspection. anyways when I pulled off the exhaust manifolds one of the exhaust ports in the head was really white while the 7 others are black. Could this be from a weak injector causing it to run lean? I was not planning on pulling the heads off the engine but if I should look more into it I don't mind. It appears to have the original acdelco plugs installed. Also I am going to run a compression test on the cylinders what results should I look for and expect?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What cylinder was the lean condition? #7 ? I would do a compression and leak down test just to double check before the engine finds it way into the car. Also if were me I would pull the heads and replace the gaskets and lifters while its easy to get to, those might set you back $200 but worth the piece of mind IMHO.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lean cylinder was the front one on the passenger side.