Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MagnaCharged GTO Headers advice!!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MagnaCharged GTO Headers advice!!! HELP

Ok my friend has a 2004 GTO 5.7 he just purchased not very long ago. It has the Magnacharger unit installed not sure what series but its basically the only mod he has other than fuel rails and i think 42lb injectors. The car is a 4 speed auto. He was thinking about getting exhaust installed but isnt sure what set up he needs since hes new in the ls1 game. I need advice from you guys that own Goats as to what setup he should run. Im a camaro owner and i honestly dont know how GTO's are setup because i know its not like an F-body obviously lol. He said it has an H pipe with glass packs or at least thats what he was told by the previous owner which i know didnt do the mods on the car anyway. He was looking at some pacesetter LT's but i told him to wait and find out if there good for the car. Basically what setup would you guys recommend for his car and i need a detailed description. If you guys can post up pics of your GTOs underside and some shots of your set ups this would help me better to understand because he is asking me for help and i honestly dont know how to help him. I installed my own headers and exhaust on my car but i dont know anything about GTOs exhaust setups. Help would be appreciated guys! Thanks,

George
Old 02-28-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

damn i like how 21 people can be so helpful...by viewing and not leaving any input. Someone just tell me what they think is the best exhaust set up on a S/C GTO with a bone stock ls1(No cam No heads) nothin just fuel rails and injectors.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

and a CAI
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend some 1 7/8'' primary headers and true duals with an X-pipe. If he doesn't mind shelling out the dough, American Racing makes the best headers in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
I would recommend some 1 7/8'' primary headers and true duals with an X-pipe. If he doesn't mind shelling out the dough, American Racing makes the best headers in my opinion
Agreed. AR's or Kooks are the way to go in terms of quality. And pacesetter doesn't make 1 7/8" primary headers anyway.

Just curious though, with forced induction, does exhaust size really matter? I always thought forced induction would mean forced exhaust as well. If that makes any sense..
Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Viscious
Agreed. AR's or Kooks are the way to go in terms of quality. And pacesetter doesn't make 1 7/8" primary headers anyway.

Just curious though, with forced induction, does exhaust size really matter? I always thought forced induction would mean forced exhaust as well. If that makes any sense..
Well on a supercharged car, with the added intake pressure, there will be more exhaust pressure. I recommend a bigger header to help evacuate the added pressure.

BTW, I love the avatar man. I haven't seen the 2 Jay-Z swap with Nas for a long time.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well on a supercharged car, with the added intake pressure, there will be more exhaust pressure. I recommend a bigger header to help evacuate the added pressure.

BTW, I love the avatar man. I haven't seen the 2 Jay-Z swap with Nas for a long time.
Coo, just curious.

Yeah it's older than the internet, but it's still good.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend some 1 7/8'' primary headers and true duals with an X-pipe. If he doesn't mind shelling out the dough, American Racing makes the best headers in my opinion.
Agreed.

If you're going to force air in, you're going to need a way to get it out as well!!

Headers will make a nice difference. You may lose a pound or two of boost though, which is because of the increased flow. Remember, boost is a measure of restriction, not power. So by opening up the exhaust, more exhaust gasses can get out on the exhaust stroke, leaving more room for incoming air on the intake stroke. No worries though, you can step down to a smaller pulley to get back to the stock boost pressure.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Agreed.

If you're going to force air in, you're going to need a way to get it out as well!!

Headers will make a nice difference. You may lose a pound or two of boost though, which is because of the increased flow. Remember, boost is a measure of restriction, not power. So by opening up the exhaust, more exhaust gasses can get out on the exhaust stroke, leaving more room for incoming air on the intake stroke. No worries though, you can step down to a smaller pulley to get back to the stock boost pressure.
And even though he may lose boost, he'll be picking up power.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And even though he may lose boost, he'll be picking up power.
Exactly, important to note that.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Ok guys thanks for the advice i appreciate it! And yea i told him that if he has the money to go with kooks 1 7/8 headers but it was the rest that i wasnt sure of...i kno gto has no Y pipe lol ill be sure to let him know what you guys recommended. BTW should he go with 3" piping or bigger?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

3'' exhaust, true duals all the way out with an X-pipe.