Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam Motion cams......

Search this Thread

Old Today, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,041 Likes on 741 Posts

Default Cam Motion cams......

I'm wondering if anyone, besides me, has had premature wear issues with Cam Motion cam lobes? My first one, back in 2005, had one lobe worn considerably in only 30,000 miles. Too much time has elapsed to remember whether it was an intake or exhaust lobe. My second one has several lobes showing some serious wear, especially #8 exhaust, in 43,000 miles. Very happy with the performance of both, but very disappointed in the durability.......
Old Today, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Send the cam in for hardness testing. Cam motion stands behind their products.
Old Today, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

what cam core did you have? the 8620 core is one that all of the cam mfg's are offering as the best/most durable.
Old Today, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlowTBSS
Send the cam in for hardness testing. Cam motion stands behind their products.
As per the thread, went bad 18 yearrs ago, and is in a landfill somewhere. Looking for others with failures. Standing behind current cam means little to me. The busting my *** part is more important. Filling my engine with shrapnel is also for sh..

Last edited by grinder11; Today at 04:41 PM.
Old Today, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
what cam core did you have? the 8620 core is one that all of the cam mfg's are offering as the best/most durable.
Dont know, ordered thru builder. Regardless, shouldnt be offering inferior alloys.....
Old Today, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,147 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
Dont know, ordered thru builder. Regardless, shouldnt be offering inferior alloys.....
From what I've seen hereabouts about Cam Motion, they seem to put out a good product that they stand behind.
19 years is a long time, and cam manufacture has come a good ways, plus they might have had a run of inferior cores at the time.
Old Today, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

True. But that first cam didnt make it one year. Took a 10,000 mile round trip from Michigan to west coast 18 years ago, hence 30,000 miles in 1 year. The 2nd cam that failed was only 4 years old/43,000 miles, so 14 years apart. They could give me 4 new cams, and it doesnt begin to cover my *** busting or sh.. in my engine or engine oil....
Old Today, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,147 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Had you gotten back to CM right after either one happened, they might have helped you in some way.
It doesn't sound like you did that, or at least you didn't say
The following users liked this post:
jmilz28 (Today)
Old Today, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Did you really wait 18 years to say anything or is something resurrecting this for you? If you want durability from a cammed engine, you need to make sure your cam is spec'd properly and that is has gentle lobes/ramp rates. Small cams last, that is why GM does that they do. Wanting durability is not reasonable and the bigger the cam, the truer this is. You also need to make sure you make valve springs a maintenance issue with anything more than a baby cam. The moment you turn a wrench modifying internals, you lose service life. I would have expected a guy that's been around here as long as you to know this stuff.
Old Today, 12:17 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 133 Likes on 89 Posts

WOW! One would think any Cam Core would at least wear and resist like an OEM. I realize the higher RPMs would have an impact but still more would be expected from any performance cam. Sorry to hear cause down time, labor, and involved costs are reasons to be upset.
Old Today, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Did you really wait 18 years to say anything or is something resurrecting this for you? If you want durability from a cammed engine, you need to make sure your cam is spec'd properly and that is has gentle lobes/ramp rates. Small cams last, that is why GM does that they do. Wanting durability is not reasonable and the bigger the cam, the truer this is. You also need to make sure you make valve springs a maintenance issue with anything more than a baby cam. The moment you turn a wrench modifying internals, you lose service life. I would have expected a guy that's been around here as long as you to know this stuff.
Uh, I DO know this stuff. I dont know what you know, and you dont know what I know. So don't question my knowledge, and I haven't, and won't, question yours. Please read my 1st post. Not just one, but TWO CM cams have had this issue. One was 18 years ago when it was less than 1 year old. The second cam was 4 years old and I just noted the second cam lobe failures 2 months ago. When the first one failed, it sucked, but I thought, hey, stuff happens. But when two fail, well, that is a bit different IMHO. Warranties mean little to me. When push comes to shove, damn few people will offer free replacement parts. Even if they did, they could offer me 4 new cams and it wont cover the *** busting I have had to go thru, or clean the sh.. in my oil. Ya know, if I was running a .700" lift cam, with 260°/270° duration, I'd look at this totally differently. But each cam had .600" lift, 232° duration, in an LS7, pretty tame for built LS motors. Plus, at 70 years old the vast majority of my engines life was spent at 2,200 rpm (70 mph), or less, because most driving was on the freeway. Once or twice per month-MAYBE-I'd take it up to 7,000rpm on a freeway on-ramp. That's it. On one trip to the strip, I made 3 passes last year. I've always liked CM cams. But I'm starting to question their lobes durability. I'll know more when I take the cam to the toolroom I worked in for 41 years. We have a Rockwell hardness tester there. I'll check the lobes for hardness, and report back. I'll also post pics of the latest cam. The first one is long gone, in a landfill somewhere.......
Old Today, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Wow that's an unfortunate turn of events.

IIRC Cam Motion had a Low Lash Solid Roller they'd durability test to ~28,000+ miles or so in a daily driver several years ago.

yellowbullet: high-mileage-low-lash-solid-rollers, Cam Motion see post #2

FWIW - ran an XER Comp Cam (224/224 .581/.581) for 15 years over ~130,000 miles with no issues. Had several sets of new valve springs etc. Properly set up performance cams can have decent durability.

Old Today, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Wow that's an unfortunate turn of events.

IIRC Cam Motion had a Low Lash Solid Roller they'd durability test to ~28,000+ miles or so in a daily driver several years ago.

yellowbullet: high-mileage-low-lash-solid-rollers, Cam Motion see post #2

FWIW - ran an XER Comp Cam (224/224 .581/.581) for 15 years over ~130,000 miles with no issues. Had several sets of new valve springs etc. Properly set up performance cams can have decent durability.
I totally agree.

Quick Reply: Cam Motion cams......