Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HD Rocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default HD Rocks

Well I'm happy now, at least for a little while. I just Installed my new Sony CDX-GT700HD radio. I am using the Infinity 62.7i in the doors, ED 7Kv.2 subs in the sail panels and i put a pair os Sony 4" x 6" speakers in the rear deck area and this thing sound wonderful oh yes I did get the HU mount with the Camaro Z28 on the front with Red LED's to light things up. When i'm on the highway and turn the volumn up to about 35 the HD sound puts regular FM to shame.

A lot of people say different things about the speakers in the hatch area, well unless you think the designers at GM are stupid I don't know haw anyone would suggest not utilizing the deck area. They do not give a lot of sound but they do produce just enough to fill up the cabin so it does not sound empty.

I guess if you just want Boom Boom Boom so the guy down the street can hear you comming you don't need them. However I like loud not deafening sound not noise! Just oner man's Humble opinion. Thanx guy's for all of you help.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some reasons those speakers are there, in no particular order:
1) A marketing point. "Our car has a 72 speaker audio system!" Consumers eat that **** up.
2) (related to #1, I guess) People expect front and rear speakers. Those people are dumb in this case, but they can't be ignored.
3) They're cheap anyway.
4) For people that sit in the back seat, they fill the sound in indeed. But they don't need to do that for the front.

etc.

If I still had my Camaro then I would certainly have offered to have you check out my front+stealth-box only setup which would have blown your setup away.

Last edited by dragonrage; 03-03-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having or not having rear hatch speakers has nothing to do with "boom". That is all to do with how you tune your equipment and what you listen to.
On an aftermarket system I generally like to have some rear fill but I do it by utilizing a midbass/midrange type speaker in the sail panel area (this is just my techinique others have their way of doing it). This adds some depth and fill without having the high frequencies that would draw your ear to the back of the vehicle thus drawing away from the front stage. By keeping the focus of the sound coming from the front components you have a solid front stage while having a little depth added from rear kickdrum type bass and some midrange. By doing this type of setup it completely negates the need for the rear hatch speakers and would actually take away from the front stage at that point.
The designers you speak of at GM are not about quality sound systems. They are about asthetics and marketing. As stated marketing a system is more important to them as to how it sounds. It is also more important to them how it looks then how it sounds. It is easy to sell a system that states 500watts (it's about half that on a good day) and 10 speakers when the truth is that if they cared about how it actually sounded they would have gone with less speakers and made those speakers quality parts vs. lots of cheaply made speakers that blow out on you.
Not saying anyone way of doing things is right or wrong....everyone has their own way of doing it that sounds good to them. If you like the way it sounds....that's what matters, it's your car.

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 03-03-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank You I love the way it sounds.