Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Word of advice on stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Word of advice on stereo system

I put Infinity Kappa 62.9i speakers in the door and they work great. I also replaced the hatch speakers with some 4in Pioneers...the hatch speakers really are not that important but I figured if I am going to be using them anyway I may as well use something with a little more quality than the stock speakers. So far no problems with clipping from the amp...I was a little concerned with using the 62.9i's but so far they are fine running off the stock amp. I am using an Alpine x305 HU and the monsoon amp has performed really well with the higher quality signal. I didnt touch the sail panel speakers because I had basically bought everything for the car before hand and already had a sub and amp set up. (not installed yet)

If I were to do this all over I would probably consider the Kee Audio package and just upgrade all speakers with out adding a sub. I have a feeling that upgrading the sail panel speakers wouldve been enough, and now I have 2 JL Audio w6s and a 500 slash amp to install...which is going to prove to be way more than I need. Actually I bought a box from subthump that was just supposed to be for 1 sub and they botched it up and sent me one made for 2 subs...luckily I had 2 of the JLs so its no problem...its just going to be WAY too boomy for me. I was going for SQ..kinda wanted to feel like I was at a live show while in my car...I guess ill just keep the amp turned way down.

Anyway to sum this up if anyone is thinking about upgrading the whole system, get a quality HU and then a speaker package from Kee first...if you still desire more then look into an amp and sub package.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

I had similar thoughts when I first replaced my system, but the sub and amp make a huge difference.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 PM

Oh I agree, I'm just concerned I won't be able to tune it the way I'd like. I think it's just going to be too much and I wish I wouldve upgraded the speakers first and see if that wouldve made me happy.

It's also possible I'll be very happy with the subs, but to be honest it sounds pretty nice right now. I've already tuned it with the imprint using the mic and software and it's so much better than the stock sound it's amazing.

I'll update after I get amp and subs in. I have some work to do though because when I changed the battery the positive terminal snapped off with cable...uhg! I'm going to go to work on that with a Dremmel and see if I can salvage the cable and some time.

Quick Reply: Word of advice on stereo system