Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Changing shifter color: Paint or Vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changing shifter color: Paint or Vinyl

I have the Trailblazer Shifter for my T/A. I have been pondering changing the brushed aluminum (which I will not keep as it matches nothing in my interior) to either a gloss black, or chrome. My wife has been more than generous with her time, attention, and frankly money (I'm in school!) than anyone could ever hope for and she says chrome, so chrome it is.

So...
How do I change the color? It is brushed aluminium in look, but it is dead smooth in texture. Should I use a chrome paint, or would it be best to use a vinyl sticker and shape it to the shifter?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and yes, my wife kicks ***! (when I found out how much the 6LE gauges would be for an entire set with needles, she said that I had to do it anyway! ****, all I do is go to school!)
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use vinyl first to see how you like it. If you get it to fit right then just stick with that in case you want to take it off in the future

I use vinyl for ton of car applications and it looks nice and is easily removable
Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

where do you get your vinyl?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ebay. It is Oracle brand.
It is not as glossy or as vivid as a nice clear-coated paint job, but it still looks nice, is cheaper, and can removed with ease!

I have used gloss black on my emblems (the "Z"s, bow tie, nose emblem, the triangle sail panel pieces)