Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help spending money

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help spending money

Well sounds kinda crazy but I do not know what to get first. Should I go rear end first or go powertrain first. I have a Fast Intake and Nick Williams TB ported by Mr. Mamo from afr. But thats it. Anyone have any good ideas? My budget it 4k.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have 4k I would go for a full exhaust first (Long Tube headers and either true duals or a y pipe) which will run you about 1000 depending on what you get. I would not replace the rear end if it is working fine and not whining a bunch. Just run it for as long as you can. I would also buy a Lid (~$100) cuz that will go well with your intake/TB setup. Then you can look at cams and stalls or clutches (A4 or M6?) and definitely gonna need a tune after all that. You should still have a good chunk of change leftover from all of that. From there its just a matter of personal opinion. Usually it depends what you are going to use the car for (DD, drag racing, autocross, weekend driver etc.) and buy your mods accordingly. This should help get you started.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Well this is my garage queen. I only take it out once every two weeks. Work is super busy. But I forgot to mention I also have a 150 shot NOS set up. My goal is to have an all around great street rod. I was looking at working with Texas Speed as I have read that alot of folks like thier stuff. But a full exhaust is not a bad way to get started. I thought about forging my internal first but I cannot really make a choice yet. Guess thats why I posted this. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If its a street rod maybe some suspension. Shocks, springs, and some other stuff.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Teching In

I keep on forgetting about small things I have already done to this. I lowered it using the eibach pro kit and added some kyb AGX all around. I also put some 18" hot wheel 68 on it. looks good but I need to go faster now.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Launching!

More info. needed man. Is it an A4, or an M6? Honestly, if I ever start on another one, that shitty 10 Bolt is getting replaced immediately! It is the weakest point on these cars!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah more info needed. Do you plan to take it to the strip a lot?? Do you like taking turns hard?? M6 or A4?? I'd definitly say full exhaust first (if your close to VA or PA i have mine for sale haha) also lid, filter, cam, valve train, and tune. Then when u get more money rear end and susp.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Teching In

I have 6-speed T-56 with a stock clutch. I enjoy the occasional trip to the races.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

clutch for sure and id have to say rear end...one good launch outta that and its done..ive seen a many 10-bolts go boom...all except mine
Old 03-09-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send a check to Chris@Happyguy.com(me) lol

I would do a little bit of everything, light suspension, power and maybe exhaust work, have a lil in the piggy bank to cover just in cases like clutch and rear end
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You still have stock exhaust? Get that replaced for sure! You already have more air that can come in, but no extra can go out. Getting Long Tubes and a cat-back will really open your car up. American Racing headers/y-pipe is a good choice if you got money (which you do).
You may also want to upgrade your shifter to something like a Pro 5.0 or similar. Oh and throw an aftermarket lid on there if you do not have one yet.
I would also save some of that money for a clutch later down the road. I wouldn't replace your current clutch yet unless its high milaged or slipping already. Same for the read end... I wouldnt replace it til that goes or shows signs of going.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

I appreciate all the advice so I think I will try some of the small stuff but also a head and cam combo to put it to some local mustangs. Everyone in El Paso seems to love mustangs.