Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Problem

I installed my DDM HID kit and I thought all was well... Now when I turn them on the passenger side immediately comes on, but the driver's side flickers and dies. If I turn them on and off several times it may or may not come on. If I wiggle the plug it does nothing, but if I unplug the ballast and plug it back in, it comes on immediately.

Could this be a bad ballast? I checked the connections and all seems well, bent the connectors outward a little even so there definitely is a connection. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Teching In

did you run standard relay's?
i had this same problem , and went to radio shack and bought two relays...one for the fogs and one for the headlights. once i connected them , problem was solved.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

Can you elaborate? What relay and where do you connect them? Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seach ebay for plug and play relay kits it plugs into your ballast and then you connect the one wire to a 12v power and the other a ground so when you turn on your lights it gives it 12v power instead of what it is giving it now on that circut
Old 03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Teching In

it's a 12v 30a relay.
i did a seach on google "HID diagram" on the connection.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Teching In

I am having this same problem except it started out of the blue about a week ago when I went out to my car in the morning and the headlights had turned on somehow overnight. Ever since then it is hit or miss whether or not the lights will work, and just as the OP said flipping the headlight switch repeatedly sometimes works and sometimes does not. I have the full harness set up from DDM Tuning, but did you attach the radioshack relay to the harness too? Isnt the harness supposed to fix this problem?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Teching In

bump....need to drive soon should I just abandon the HIDs and put the stockers back in?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like light is not getting enough power to light up, they drain a lot of power at first light up from the battery, thats why a relay is used. A relay will provide the balasts with direct power from battery.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cep39
I am having this same problem except it started out of the blue about a week ago when I went out to my car in the morning and the headlights had turned on somehow overnight. Ever since then it is hit or miss whether or not the lights will work, and just as the OP said flipping the headlight switch repeatedly sometimes works and sometimes does not. I have the full harness set up from DDM Tuning, but did you attach the radioshack relay to the harness too? Isnt the harness supposed to fix this problem?
It sounds like you have a bad relay harness. Contact DDM for a new one.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Finally figured it out... the relay had gotten wet during the monsoon last week and had blown up, so I replaced it and now everything is working perfectly again. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: HID Problem