Sponsored by:

LQ4 Swap questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default LQ4 Swap questions?

Just getting into this LSx stuff. Been working on my dads LS1 for a few years but now stepping up from my sbc.

I've been looking into this : http://static.summitracing.com/globa...1_frm28939.pdf

Still curious if it uses stock coils and just uses the crank sensor to tell the MSD when to fire or if it works in a different way. If it does it just like that I'll do it that way.

But if I need the front drive kit and a distributor I dont get why I would need the converter at all?

As you can probably tell I'm staying carbed. But which intake will work best for me? Victor Jr., Super Victor, GMPP L92 intake? Using L92 heads as well but thats all I have figured out so far.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears to be for timing advancing and retarding only. Theres two ways to use this thing. (1)You'll still need the coils and a MSD 6010, or you can run it in conjunction with the MSD 6al, and a front drive distributor setup.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use the MSD carb kit, you still need the computer and wiring harness I do believe. However, the front distributor kit you mentioned allows you to run any style of Ford 302/289 distributor. I would probably go that route and put in a RTR MSD dizzy. They are really nice, and only have 3 wires, a switched power and the 2 wires for a coil. I have one of these in my Mustang (just the dizzy) and I like it a lot. Going this route would mean all you needed to run your engine is 1 power wire and a fuel line. It can't get any simpler.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Team ******
If you use the MSD carb kit, you still need the computer and wiring harness I do believe. However, the front distributor kit you mentioned allows you to run any style of Ford 302/289 distributor. I would probably go that route and put in a RTR MSD dizzy. They are really nice, and only have 3 wires, a switched power and the 2 wires for a coil. I have one of these in my Mustang (just the dizzy) and I like it a lot. Going this route would mean all you needed to run your engine is 1 power wire and a fuel line. It can't get any simpler.
This is incorrect. You dont need the harness or the computer for the MSD carb kit. The kit includes the box(6010) which sends the signal to the coils. Each bank of coils has a connector which is connected to the 6010, the 6010 gets 12volts ign, 12 volts constant, and a ground, that is all!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by deuce4935
This is incorrect. You dont need the harness or the computer for the MSD carb kit. The kit includes the box(6010) which sends the signal to the coils. Each bank of coils has a connector which is connected to the 6010, the 6010 gets 12volts ign, 12 volts constant, and a ground, that is all!
Well, I stand corrected! I wasn't sure... I thought you still had to use the computer to control the timing curves, but thinking about it, the MSD can do that on its own.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Default 6010 msd box

Doesnt the MSD 6010 box also have connectors for the cam pickup and crank pickup? I thought it connected to the coil packs with a plug connector as well as the cam & crank sensors. Am I wrong?

If it does have connectors for the coils, crank & cam sensors, then this is by far the easiest cheapest route. No distributor, front distributor drive gear adapter, cap wires, coil, electronic ignition for the distributor etc required. The distributor setup will cost a lot more and a be a step backwards in technology for a modern engine. The msd 6010 box is 300.00 and your done with every timing function imaginable included & a few keys strokes away. There is no distributor to accidently install 180 degrees out. And you dont have to buy another MSD 6aL type box for a distributor setup.

Hpbob
Old 03-09-2010, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks for clarifying what the box really does. After a lot of looking around I'll be using the GMPP front drive kit with a Ford Dist. and my MSD Digital 6 plus box. I've heard bad things about the 6010 box and aggrassive build.

Quick Reply: LQ4 Swap questions?