Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Waves in Pass. Air Bag Cover. Possible to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Waves in Pass. Air Bag Cover. Possible to fix?

Part of my air bag cover is coming up. Is there any kind of a fix for this, or is it something I have to live with?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Could a shop do anything for it?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Waves in Pass. Air Bag Cover. Possible to fix?-untitled.jpg  
Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great question John.

thats definitely the worst looking part of my dash, its lifting on both sides for me.

hopefully we have an option other than finding pristine used ones :-S
Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Me too
Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not saying that you couldn't make it look better but if you had a wreck and the air bags deployed it could cause a problem. These things are designed to work a certain way to come through the cover and if you mess with it could be very dangerous if deployed. If you glue the bottom of the cover down and it deploys it could blow the top out causing the cover to hit the passanger not the airbag. So through all this yes you can probably make it look better, but it could cause major injury to others which can lead to a law suit at the least
Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

Screw the law suit, I don't want to lose my wife!!! If it means that, I'm out.
Has anyone come across a SAFE way to do this?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt have thought about gluing it.

maybe shaving the edges if there was a way to refinish it and make it match (id say vinyl over it but i think that would be worse than gluing the edges)
Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Ya not a good way
Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Ya not a good way to do it without the jeopardy
Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 AM
9 Second Club

Damnit, where the hell am I going to find a new dash that is in good shape! I can't have spent all that I did for an interior makeover and stare at that all day! I'm in this interior makeover around $2500 plus time spent; I know that damned piece would be the ONLY thing I would see when I get done. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

*end pissy rant*
Old 03-10-2010, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually factory used glue or some kind of green epoxy to attach the cover to the dash.
The cover is also secured in the back with some kind of belt, witch means you will never get the cover in your face it will pop up and stay on the dash.

When I wrapped my dash I took a flat knife and removed the cover just to wrap it separately from the dash, then I use some glue to attach it again into it origin position.

If you going to do this you need to remove the big plastic cover in front of the dash towards the windshield to get access to the screw which secure the cover.

Last edited by vikingramair; 03-10-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 AM
9 Second Club

AH! Viking comes through again! I already have the rest of the interior out, so I am going to give this a shot. If its just a cover, I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work, whats worst case, I buy a new dash??? oh wait, thought I had to do that anyway! I'll take pics this weekend!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vikingramair
Actually factory used glue or some kind of green epoxy to attach the cover to the dash.
The cover is also secured in the back with some kind of belt, witch means you will never get the cover in your face it will pop up and stay on the dash.

When I wrapped my dash I took a flat knife and removed the cover just to wrap it separately from the dash, then I use some glue to attach it again into it origin position.

If you going to do this you need to remove the big plastic cover in front of the dash towards the windshield to get access to the screw which secure the cover.
Exactly, when I was reading posts above this I couldn't believe someone suggested against glueing it down, LOL. What do they think GM did, velcro?

If your stock piece is warped badly you might need to pick up a new one. It'll be very hard to gluw down deformed edges. Just make sure the strap attached to it is in place & secure then glue that piece back down.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

You can change it but I would buy a new one before I tampered with an air bag. Working in the collision repair industry I've seen what these things do. The air bag comes out of the dash around 200 mph and the factory put a lot of r & d into these things to make sure they work right. That's why when airbags blow in a car the insurance will most likely total it because it cost so much replace everything brand new. Even if it's a removable cover that you can take off and redo it's still not safe IMO.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
You can change it but I would buy a new one before I tampered with an air bag. Working in the collision repair industry I've seen what these things do. The air bag comes out of the dash around 200 mph and the factory put a lot of r & d into these things to make sure they work right. That's why when airbags blow in a car the insurance will most likely total it because it cost so much replace everything brand new. Even if it's a removable cover that you can take off and redo it's still not safe IMO.
It really not that bad, maybe for ignorant people it could be. Just make sure you uplug the airbag harness so it is recieving zero current. Lots of members have removed these for replacement themselves or totally removed for custom installation of other things.

They arent expensive to "replace" the air bags. They are expensive to buy a new airbag or have one repacked if thats a option. The actualy work or replacing the unit itself is not expensive or time consuming.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Do want you want man, I know camaros are a removable cover but technically your not even supposed to dye an airbag cover. If yo wreck your car and the insurance company sees that the airbag has be messed with there is a good chance they won't pay for injury expenses or more. So you can call me ignorant if you want but to me it's worth the money to replace it correctly than to risk someones life
Old 03-10-2010, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
Do want you want man, I know camaros are a removable cover but technically your not even supposed to dye an airbag cover. If yo wreck your car and the insurance company sees that the airbag has be messed with there is a good chance they won't pay for injury expenses or more. So you can call me ignorant if you want but to me it's worth the money to replace it correctly than to risk someones life
LOL, dude what the hell do you think they are gonna do when you get it fixed? They are gonna glue the damn replacement pad down just like GM did. Its no secret or magic & definetly not worth what some places try to charge.

And no, your insurance cant do **** about you dying the dash. Only if the airbag unit itself shows signs of tampering can it cause a issue.

And I didnt directly call "you" ignorant. I said this might be dangerous for ignorant people.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Listen I don't care what people do but if it can effect safety they should know. I've delt with insurance companies alot in my business and they will wiggle out of paying anyway they can. Air bag covers are designed to work one way only, and belive it or not glueing a cover over it in a differant way than it's supposed to can change the way it reacts when hit from behind by the airbag. Just like a cars inner structure has triangle shapes removed from it in stratigic locations to make it bend there (crumple zones), you change those and they don't work right causing the car not to absorb the damage correctly and you have problems. In the same way changing the structure of the cover with differant glue can cause problems. If you want it to look good just by a differant cover that's in good shape
Old 03-11-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

valid points.

any idea what kind of glue was used/should be used? The pad itself is in great shape, if i could 'reglue' the edged id be good to go
Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres what i have to work with. Definitely not being glued down. Idk about you guys but my airbag isnt soft material at all; i pushed on the upper side of this edge and it made a couple loud cracking noises. obviously i stopped. no easy reglue for sean.

look at how nice my dash is

Old 03-11-2010, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

That sucks. My car spent its first 4.5 years in Arizona, some time in Nevada, and now (not quite as) hot Utah summers and feels nice and soft. I am kind of afraid to try prying now. I am haunted by what that cracking must have sounded like...$$$

Quick Reply: Waves in Pass. Air Bag Cover. Possible to fix?