Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem after LT and LS6 install

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem after LT and LS6 install

After the install the car started fine, added water and coolant, checked for leaks and everything seemed fine except the coolant temp sensor was broken so i know i have to order one tomorrow but after driving a few miles i noticed my oil was reading around 20 instead of the normal 40. I turned the engine off and took off the oil cap and it was smoking alittle so i added half a quart (all i had in my backseat) and i noticed my fans were still on and they didnt turn off for a few minutes. How much more oil should i add or should i just change it completely? Or is there something else going on i dont know about?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

also when i would give it gas i would hear a slight ticking or knocking and also when in park so i know that would mean it has low oil, right??
Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possibly exhaust leak on headers AND possibly bumped and damaged oil pressure sending unitl (egg-shell fragile!!!)
Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

i checked the opsu after installing the ls6 and after starting it but ill check again tomorrow. i did break the stock opsu but that was expected.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:26 AM
11 Second Club

why did you add oil did you check the dipstick and it was low or did you just add it because your pressure was low
Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You installed the Cam yourself I take it? These symptoms could come from if you pinched the o ring or didn't properly install the pickup tube for the oil pump.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
You installed the Cam yourself I take it? These symptoms could come from if you pinched the o ring or didn't properly install the pickup tube for the oil pump.

I could be wrong but I think he is saying LS6 intake, not LS6 cam.

To the originally poster. Why would you not check the dipstick to see if the fluid level was good instead of just dumping oil into the engine?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

i did check the dipstick and it was low (i have a very slight oil leak due to oil pan gasket)
Today everything runs fine and i did an oil change and i changed the coolant temp sensor cuz the original one broke but my temp gauge doesn't work, the needle doesn't move at all. could the new sensor be bad or is it something else?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by heartless_T/A99
i did check the dipstick and it was low (i have a very slight oil leak due to oil pan gasket)
Today everything runs fine and i did an oil change and i changed the coolant temp sensor cuz the original one broke but my temp gauge doesn't work, the needle doesn't move at all. could the new sensor be bad or is it something else?
Did you get the right one. If you have a gauge you may have bought or been sent the sensor for the idiot light instead.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

I finally got it fixed. One of the wires had ripped in half which was causing the gauge not to work. Now the car is running like it should and surprisingly i didnt get the SES light. I do have the predator handheld tuner but i never cleared the codes before the install. Now for some reason when i shift from park to drive the car jerks HARD!