Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not your average rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not your average rattle

Ok, car is an '01 Trans Am. Quick back story, a few months ago the car was making a rattling noise and throwing a code from a rear o2 sensor. So I decided I had a busted catalytic converter. I gutted both cats and had the rear o2's tuned out. However the rattle didn't go away. It got cold out, I don't have a garage so I ignored it. Now that its warm out I got back under the car to track down the rattle. It is coming from near the rear o2 sensor on the passenger side. The pipes are together tight, there are no loose nuts/bolts/anything. It sounds like the rattle is coming from inside of the pipe, but I know there is nothing foreign in there because I had the exhaust apart when I gutted the cats. I know its not left over debris from the cats because the rattle was there before I gutted them too.

So, is there any part of the actual o2 sensor that can bust or break on the inside of it that would rattle around? Any idea at all what could be causing this??? I am pretty sick of hearing it and it makes my car sound like a turd lol. Thanks.

-Chad
Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

it could be hitting the floor board?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
it could be hitting the floor board?
No, I don't think so. Like I said, the sound definitely seems to be coming from inside the exhaust pipe itself, not any external contact. That is why I'm curious if it is possible for something to come loose within the o2 sensors itself.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the rear 02 out and look at it to see if its broken. Also check all of your heat shields. One could be touching the pipe elswhere and your hearing the rattle there because its tranferring sound.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I tried to bust the rear o2 out tonight but I lost daylight because I don't have a big enough wrench lol my vice grips were too awkward to fit under there . I'll double check for things like heat shields again, but most likely I'll just try and get a bigger wrench and take the o2 out. I really don't feel like dropping the entire section of the pipe because that is a pain lol.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12" crescent works good
Old 03-18-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
Ok, car is an '01 Trans Am. Quick back story, a few months ago the car was making a rattling noise and throwing a code from a rear o2 sensor. So I decided I had a busted catalytic converter. I gutted both cats and had the rear o2's tuned out. However the rattle didn't go away. It got cold out, I don't have a garage so I ignored it. Now that its warm out I got back under the car to track down the rattle. It is coming from near the rear o2 sensor on the passenger side. The pipes are together tight, there are no loose nuts/bolts/anything. It sounds like the rattle is coming from inside of the pipe, but I know there is nothing foreign in there because I had the exhaust apart when I gutted the cats. I know its not left over debris from the cats because the rattle was there before I gutted them too.

So, is there any part of the actual o2 sensor that can bust or break on the inside of it that would rattle around? Any idea at all what could be causing this??? I am pretty sick of hearing it and it makes my car sound like a turd lol. Thanks.

-Chad
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the 02 senors, my rear ones rattle. Take them out and shake them around and you will hear it. You can "fix" it by clamping them.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

JD AMG is right. The O2 sensors themselves tend to rattle. Both the rear sensors on my WS6 made this noise, I removed them and plugged the holes.... bam, noise was gone.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys, taking out the sensor ASAP.